Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

another blown starter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject: another blown starter Reply with quote

Trying to fire up the '87 924s for the spring, blew the nose off the starter, again, this is #3 destroyed. I'm going to try to verify the bell housing isn't from a turbo 944 (they say the starter mounting point is different and matters).
Other causes being investigated.
I'm having a heck of time buying another one. I want an early model "fatty", Pelican and other resources don't differentiate so it's a crap shoot what your gunna get I guess. this is my kid's car and he has to sell it off for tuition money so I don't want to go high end, gear reduction, torque monster, which is what I would do if it were mine. Advise sought as well as a decent rebuildable early starter.
BTW, the bell housing isn't slotted, the sensors are new and the one is shielded, grounds are clean, why it's kicking back and killing starters I don't know.
I suspect fuel pressure regulator leak, gassing intake which may exacerbate the issue, not sure. Injectors do not seem to be leaking.
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finallly sourced the "correct" early starter, the bigger bodied one and have not had a kick back issue since, note thet retailers won't differentiate starters and will supply the later, smaller bodied starter for all 944 and 924s and I am convinced these wreck havoc with our sensors. I finally found partsgeek listed the starters for early 944s and later as different numbers so I ordered the early one, it was fatter and is the magic bullet. IMHO.
pictures in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/986913-starter-interference-83-vs-87-a-2.html[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: