Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Rough Life Wilson continued
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning is a good morning friends! GOOD FRIDAY TO YOU.
Yesterday was a struggle to program my 4 year old Innovate MTX-L Wide Band O2 controller. I hunted around and eventually got a 9 pin serial to USB adapter then downloaded the firmware and programmer but couldn't connect with my AFR gauge (controller). Then I read another much better detailed manual and realized I was connected incorrectly. This morning I changed the analog 1-5 v Output from the controller to the ECM as per the SDS EFI directions. Whew! That was a bit dodgy mate!

Innovate seems very impressive, their website shows they are always current with the times and really stay BIG PICTURE. I'd love one day to use more of there product. Yesterday I downloaded their LOGWORKS which basically will record the various devices you have plugged in, so for me it would just be the O2 sensor... so lets say that on my first test drive of Wilson, I want to make sure I am aware when the car runs leaner than 12:1; I can record the drive and it'll should me the AFR at various rpms.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, this has been a loooooong project. But I finally drove it around 50 miles today. And guess what? It works!

morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!
TJC  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satisfaction
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hall crank sensor and complete stand alone from SDS EFI in Canada. (two thumbs up) using low impedance 72 lb injectors from Five-O in New York.
Turbo is non-inter-cooled & I'm only looking for 4-7 lbs boost after tuning for now, but down the road I might crank it up to 300+ hp. The turbo is a T104E T3/T4 hybrid (large compressor, medium turbine). Boost right now is so buttery smooth and a little laggy until 3000+... but since I have only tuned the ignition and still need to tune the fuel, I'm taking it easy. Turbo mounted by hanging from intake manifold with 1/4" 6000 series aluminum. Ford v8 65mm (?) Throttle body. Engine block is 88 n/a with stock 951 internals. Everything is ported, headwork is like a stage 2+ and performed by myself. It was a learning experience.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lesson learned last weekend: Don't EVER run a car with a non-powered wideband O2 sensor. It's get destroyed. Kept getting an Error 8 message when calibrating the old sensor. Fortunately the speed shop had a replacement.

Next on the list before driving was getting the SDS EFI software loaded to the laptop. They were kind enough to send me the new links on Sunday. Great customer service!

Friday near midnight, Bearded Brian and Tommy Gun dropped by. Not only are these 2 the best beer drinkers I know, they are also some of the best drivers I know. Much better than I, so it comes to me as a compliment when they both really love the drivers position in the cockpit. "If I close my eyes and feel the steering, the shifter, handbrake, it's all perfectly in place" Brian says.

Sunday was the first fill at the gas station. This worked great actually.

I wanted to reserve opinion/judgement until road testing the car, but some adjustment of the clutch and brake pedal is required.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words TJC and Morghen!

Saw this junk near my window today and rather than think "oh I should clean that stuff off" I thought it looked nice. The badge & logo are from Gramps (the 78 n/a 924) and it's the least that car could give me in return for the effort it I put in to it.

Today was the second day I drove Wilson briefly on the hiway. Small drives. Its a good car.

I performed the 2nd wave of tuning. The first was ignition and the 2nd was adding fuel. Much more is needed but getting closer. And the car is fun to drive! It's already faster than it was as an n/a when it comes to straight line acceleration.

The first time out with Wilson (last weekend) was scary for a number of reasons, and bad visibility was one BIG reason. These racing side mirrors are so light & aero but man they aren't good enough. But I planned for that. and now with the rear view mirror on full time, it really helps!
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the first day the car got running there was a terrible screech from the front accessories. I had for the first time ever 14 volts on the instrument cluster (it always read 12v which bugged me), but then the batt stopped charging and I knew we had a problem. Going back about 1.5 years ago, I had to alter the back half of the alt to gain clearance for the air filter ducting. Anyway I plan on upgrading to the Nissan alt, but think it's a reasonable alternative to cut the back half housing for the time being. And since I have a back up alt, I am swapping over the internals to the altered casing.

This is my first time taking apart an alt to this degree and I thought I'd share it with you in case its of interest.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one day I will buy a crank driven vacuum for the crankcase but until then I bought K and N. GREAT FAST SERVICE to Canada straight from the company's website.I measured carefully and it's the only one that will work for this. I am trying to deal with blowby.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilson is back. Feels crazy crazy good to say that. Got the "baller on a budget" GT conversion with some sweet LED headlights in. Got my turbo drainage issues fixed. Last night I drove about 60 miles... and stomped on it a few times. This car sounds nasty (but in a good way). Got a taste of 6 pounds boost so far. If anyone has any SUCCESSFUL 2.5l tuning maps, hook a brother up would ya?
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got permission to bring Wilson in the shop to charge the A/C. But found the compressor clutch isn't engaging & the heater blows hot. When I press the AC button the voltmeter doesn't drop (like it used to when the clutch engaged), so need to troubleshoot. Was hoping to maybe take the car on a 9 hour road trip for mothers day this weekend, but can't if its blowing heat.

Also. HOLY SH***** I experienced 12 lbs of boost! Which I dunno might be like 15 lbs with a stock 944 turbo. So that means the Greddy controller responds to my input & the system works. The car just pulls, but then when I go 3/4-WOT I get possibly detonation and the knock sensor de-rates the engine or external waste-gate "screamer pipe" opening... I have no idea what is going on, because if feels like I hit a wall but it's below the 6750 fuel cut, and I can felt a jolt and forward acceleration slows momentarily. If I press the accelerator slowly,, then this happens less, it's when I press quickly that it occurs. The car is too rich and needs proper tuning so I backed off the boost. BUT WHAT A FEELING!

And I ditched the rally car/muscle car brake booster pump. It worked good, but now I'm plumbed in normal. Brakes feel the same.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats bud!
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noahs944 wrote:
Lesson learned last weekend: Don't EVER run a car with a non-powered wideband O2 sensor. It's get destroyed. Kept getting an Error 8 message when calibrating the old sensor. Fortunately the speed shop had a replacement.

The reason I binned off Innovate. Constant recalibrating sucks then O2 sensors fail! Fitted Zeitronix.....never needed calibrating. Never failed.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Analyze my data log file please Reply with quote

Today was the first day of datalogging. It was also the first day of almost 13 lbs of boost. I was running 94 octane and a bottle of octane booster in the tank. No intercooler.
Based on driving this week, I was experience what I think was mis-fires with low (5 -7 lbs boost), on straight 92 octane gas and they were quite violent! So as a troubleshooting tool I upped the octane to see if it would go away & sure enough, today I could have cranked up the boost even more, as you can see the knock detection was zero. But, I suspect the tuning needs to be improved & that the octane booster is just a band-aid. One concern I have is at peak boost the ignition is retarded 22 degrees, but at 1 inch of Vac and even 4 lbs of boost the spark is retarded 32 degrees, should it not be max ignition retard at max boost and less retard during these other moments? My goal is to not have to use octane booster.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a fantasy of mine to order McDonalds food through the drive thru in Wilson for like 5 years. I can now take that off the wish list. Last night almost midnight we were charging up and down the hills in the blackness of the foothills on an incredible road, these LED headlight are AMAZING! Then today after a drive, my throttle cable broke but fortunately my friends kid gave me the brake cable from his BMX bike & we were able to drive home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: