Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Urban Rally Car. "Rough Life" Wilson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was my first time driving a sportscar in like 2 years.
Today was also my first time driving on my favourite roads in 2 years.
Bearded Brian took me for a 3 hour rip with his Mom's Cooper S.
MY GOD ITS BRILLIANT. What a car!!! This thing fricken rips through corners... such an automobile.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Above: S2 transaxle in a box! Below: Don't have a lot of room for the air filter, you can see the extension for the cone filter on the left. I think how it'll flow is in the following order, from right to left:
Brake booster spliced with "t" switch which closes the electrical circuit on sensing pressure. That turns on the pump. Pump will draw a crank case vacuum and exhaust the air into my post air filter/pre-turbo "extension" tube. But the air it sucks will be through an oil catch can.
After painting the extension tube I realized I probably should weld a bung for the fast idle solenoid too. I will read the instructions before proceeding.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so yes the fast idle solenoid (shown) uses air before the TB and feeds it to the intake manifold. Searching in the garage I found a nice diesel engine pushrod that is around the right diameter.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air filter on. Brand new horns threaded into the Porsche welded nuts like magic... neat!
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above: The fast idle solenoid mounted & plumbed. Below: the frame mounted electric vacuum pump bracket I made and the final position of said pump.

Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bch0PRJ38Is&t=104s
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my wife got tired of me belly aching around the house and slipping into depression. When discussing the problem, I said "Yes I am depressed. All I want to do is drive a great car out in the country and I haven't done that in 2 years".
"Fine" she replied "go buy that beater"
I couldn't believe my ears! This will bring my lust for life back! After seeing that the front wheel drive Toyota econobox was sold for $2000, I kept looking and looking. Eventually I spent well over that amount. Yes it's German. Yes it's Turbo. Yes it a great handling car. Sadly it's front wheel drive, (weird I didn't know Audi made fwd) but that has it's benefits also!
I have the best wife ever
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I like about the back road adventures: Freedom and fun and skill development.
The 2009 A3 Front wheel drive is the base model with some options. But generally this car (among) the cheapest Audi.
It's so fun to drive on the road or gravel. I'm taking my time learning FWD driving technique.
My basic goal is to master FWD and I feel like this car is very capable... It's probably comparable to a stock 944 turbo in all around performance & handling and braking.
I'd say the same thing about the Mini Cooper S. Its so nice to find some gems are still being made for driver's who want to experience inputs & outputs.
To compare the fwd A3 to the copper S (with "sport mode" engaged), I'd say the Cooper felt more neutral, whereas the Audi tends to understeer easier under throttle, bur responds better to manipulating the weight transfer with brakes (yaw). I like this and it's something I love about the 944. The car is very playful (like the 944), whereas the Mini is more playful in nimbleness and surprisingly firm suspension (in sport mode).
I love all cars that put a smile on my face & feel so grateful that my wife approves this purchase.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for not completing the 944 project yet. The Audi I bought started acting up a lot and de-rating. I need a reliable car & don't need another project, but it is what it is. So the last while I have re-engineered my garage to allow parking of "Fergie" (the Audi) so I can perform diagnosis. After working as a mechanic during the day I kind of "get my fill" and don't feel like wrenching much, but the Audi is quite a lovely daily driver. I replaced the throttle pedal (same p/n as an R8 btw... haha!) and just now the throttle body. Took it for a good long burn into the mountains, where my friend and I sampled the local brewery's selection. Anyway, with time away from Wilson, I finally have the itch to work on him again!
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batt box was starting to corrode in the front section so reinforced with fibreglass.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started on the fuel cap conversion.

Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combined hoses & tubing to accommodate the "v mount" rad. Found the NA upper coolant elbow housing works better than the 951 with this set up. NAILED the hoses, they fit AWESOME.

Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above: last night installed 5 multipin connectors in the oem electrical harness near the driver's seat. That harness has always been a b*tch for painting floors or especially welding the roll cage. Now I can separate the harness into halves when trouble shooting or get it outta the way if needed. 30 wires!! Man, the days before multi-plexing technology.

Above: unfinished business. After trying to evade the inevitable, today I modified the fuel neck to accept the lines originally on the fuel tank. Also in prep for starting the car, I dumped 10 litres of fresh gasoline into the tank and found one of my welds leaking gas on the floor, so I just clamped a rubber hose over the joint.

Above: hard to photograph the entire thing: to clarify, this car is going to be used as a daily driver and on long trips, where exhaust note can enhance an experience or get old really quickly. I do have a free flow 3" Magnaflow muffler (left) and hi flow 3" cat (right). As a mechanic I smell stinking things all the time. I don't want gasoline odours or unconverted exhaust fumes on my daily.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/brian.storzuk/videos/10155737588300356/?t=64

Hey the car starts and runs.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol awesome video

More!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: