Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Itching For A New Project, Road Legal "Semi" Rally
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJC  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I begin I would just like to thank everyone for their input and advice. I truly appreciate it!

Regarding engine choices whether it be a 2.0L NA, 2.0L Turbo or 2.5L let me just say that neither of these engines or modifications made to them bother me as far as working on them. Aside from my 40 plus years of Motor Sport experience which includes a pretty fair amount of engine building, I also had a stint managing a high performance/race engine machine shop and even taught "engines" at a tech school for a couple of years during that time...so I'm pretty comfortable in that regard.

Again since I have no desire to compete in any events I'm neither restricted by a rule book or compelled to build a "killer" engine either. If I purchase a 2.0L NA I would probably prefer to stick with my original idea to build a nice reliable "stump puller" of an engine with just enough dazzle to have some fun with...so a beefy balanced bottom end, a bit more compression, cam and head work, dual Webers, header and free flowing exhaust and a decent enough ignition system. My initial guess is that I could boost the poor little USA engine up from it's sad 115 horsepower to at least the ROW's 125 but most likely a bit more. And I could live with that. If a 931 came into the picture I may consider it and as I mentioned there is a fellow near me that has two of them for sale. But I don't know if I want to use a Turbo for this purpose. With their values slowly creeping upwards I may be hesitant to make the same modifications to it and use it as I would with a NA. I'd be more inclined to restore it and that's not what I'm after here.

But as I've indicated I more concerned about the availability of parts. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious in this regard but I'd hate to get into something only to have silly parts obstacles to overcome. Please correct me if I'm wrong but some of the things that I've read about as being an issue are main bearings, valve adjustment screws (especially with a modified or reground camshaft with a smaller base circle), pistons, valves some electrical components, etc. This is one of the reasons that I would consider the 2.5 over the 2.0. And although there are some extra bits on the 2.5 they're really not that crazy to maintain or difficult to work on and rebuild. There is actually a pretty strong following of people here in the States for the 2.5 and support as well as parts availability doesn't seem to be a problem at all. And with approximately 150-160 horsepower on tap there really isn't any need to modify it much at all for my purposes...they just don't look as cool as a 2.0 with Webers and such!!!

So that's where I stand right now. I'm looking for the right car and actively got the X5 up for sale to free up some play money funds. With the holidays upon us I don't expect much to happen until after the first of the year...but you never know!!! And again I sincerely thank everybody for their input and I really take it to heart. Please don't hesitate to continue to offer your thoughts as I readily admit I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to building a car for this purpose! Thanks!
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
I think i’m going to literally strap a supercharger to my 85 2L NA once its up and running well enough. Run 0.3 bar without an intercooler.
A low boost supercharger or small turbocharger strapped on to the 2L NA would kick it back into to fun teritory, especially for gravel road driving.

Putting small turbocharger is wrong logic as you create more backpressure and it hinders power and engie will be more prone to detonation.

0.3 bar is such a small boost that it makes little difference and for that is hardly worth the effort..

Also 944 engine is heavier, bulkier and has dreaded oiling issue on the cyl2 rod bearing and oil starvation during cornering. But with gravel it's a moot point.

In your case (not wanting to build anythign serious) I would probably just buy some 924S.
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 924 parts I think it's better now than a few years ago in many ways. Mains are available, and cam adjusters can be bought new. Solid light weight lifters are also available nowdays. Though I think it's a bit annoying that there are many hoses that has been unavailable for a while. Parts are still cheap, only some kjet parts can be pricey. But you don't have to pay 300eur for a water pump like the 944

As fun as it is with turbo, the ease of maintenance and the simple engine bay of a carbed n'a engine is in many ways tempting..

Good luck with the car anyway
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's pic of the turbocharged 924 n/a engine, plenty of room and very simple:

'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceboy wrote:
Here's pic of the turbocharged 924 n/a engine, plenty of room and very simple:

Looks like a nice simple install. More info please....

Plus your view on whether to run blow off/ recirc valves. I'm installing Morghens turbo from his GTS in the New Year with its large K27 compressor. I'm on the no valve side of the fence. Firstly to maintain some boost in the system off throttle and secondly purely childish reason of some turbo surge noises aka Audi Quattro S1 style!
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's topic when I did this engine project: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=21735

If you do not have anything then it is not a matter whether you fancy noise or something but it is essential for turbocharger life. Closing throttle while turbo is working hard will ruin it soon. You need some sort of valve, blow-off is just so much easier to install but obviously would not work as intended on CIS system.
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blow off worked just fine for me, the noise it makes when WOT and shifting around 4500RPM with that turbo is intoxicating.
I had an incident where the blow-off didnt open and the result is not a nice sound but a very very violent shudder with power delivery intermittently coming in even with the foot off the accelerator and unbalancing the car as i was going into a corner.
TJC  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:
For the 924 parts I think it's better now than a few years ago in many ways. Mains are available, and cam adjusters can be bought new. Solid light weight lifters are also available nowdays. Though I think it's a bit annoying that there are many hoses that has been unavailable for a while. Parts are still cheap, only some kjet parts can be pricey. But you don't have to pay 300eur for a water pump like the 944

As fun as it is with turbo, the ease of maintenance and the simple engine bay of a carbed n'a engine is in many ways tempting..

Good luck with the car anyway

I'll need to do some additional research here to see if suppliers in the States are keeping up with those in Europe.

But now the search intensifies as the X5 went down the road with a new owner today and the itch intensifies even more. Perhaps now is the time to contact the fellow near by who has the two 931's for sale...just to get some info of course!
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: