Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

USA vs EU Camshaft Compatibility - Can I swap it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j03k64  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: USA vs EU Camshaft Compatibility - Can I swap it? Reply with quote

Hello!

I have a 1979 Porsche 924 N/A 2.0L (US spec) car and am having our machine shop rebuild the head. Only one cam follower needed to be replaced, but the camshaft lobe is worn / flat on exhaust port number three; rest appear to be in good condition. I can have it spray welded and put back to spec OR replace the entire cam with a new/used unit. Not a big fan of the spray weld fix.

Can I swap an EU camshaft into my USA vehicle? If so, what adjustments would need to be made?

I understand the EU cam is profiled a bit hotter than the USA version and the timing is different, which would be okay as long as the adjustment in the cam followers permits? I've already had the valves cleaned up, new guides installed at stock specs, and 1/1000 shaved from the mating surface.

If anyone has lobe specs on the USA / EU cars our machine shop would like to know/confirm that data. Keen to know the height and widths of the lobes. I've looked in the shop manual, tech sheets, searched here on the forum and couldn't find those specs clearly disclosed.

All the Best!

Last edited by j03k64 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No damage should be possible with the NA engine since the valves can never touch the pistons even with the euro high compression pistons. So i’d just install the camshaft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: