Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Camshaft Removing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newbie924  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Camshaft Removing Reply with quote

Hello all, may I ask if its possible to remove and refit the Porsche 924 2 lit engine camshaft without removing the cylinder head from the engine please? Would it also be possible to remove the timing pulley attached to the cam if these were or are removed together? Thanks in advance.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Recommend that first you turn the motor over by hand to line up the cam mark on the rear of the cam pulley with the mark on the cam cover to get the motor at TDC on #1. Then you will have to pull the distributor. Then remove cam. This makes reassembly much easier.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with Mike. Its a very simple process if you time everything at top dead center per the marks prior to removing.

Current:
1981 924 SCCA/ChampCar Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1987 924S ChampCar Endurance Car ("Der Weg")
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
newbie924  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.. so this way a person can remove the cam shaft plus the upper timing wheel attached? I intend to maybe refit a race cam in the future(not yet though) maybe after I have some fun with the car 'racing' it or at events if its fun.
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pull the cam and the cam timing wheel off at the same time, but I would recommend taking the cam timing wheel off as you will need to either replace or reinstall (not recommended) the oil seal for the cam. It will be near to impossible to get the seal in place with the cam wheel on.

Cheers

Ian

Current:
1981 924 SCCA/ChampCar Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1987 924S ChampCar Endurance Car ("Der Weg")
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
newbie924  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, I was told that I would need a special timing cam gear that goes with the Piper cam, correct me if Im wrong. So therefore I wont need to remove the cam gear from the standard cam to change the seal unless Im either refitting the same setup or using the standard cam gear on the piper cam which I think would not work due to special timings needed on Piper cam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: