Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

EA827 Swap: Build Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunset924  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgen,

This entire project would not be moving forward if my original engine did not need to be rebuild. Agreed, it is a very well designed lump and it needs rebuilt to no fault of its own but rather due to neglect (refer to link in first post of thread). But irrgardless, this is where we are with it. I simply can’t justify the cost to rebuild a 95hp engine with limited parts a ability and high costs, when I can build and install a readily available engine that will produce 80% more power for 1/4 the cost. I suppose it comes down to basic economics of owning a toy and fun per dollar. If I’m going to drop that much money I want to at least be able to keep up with the family cars on the road next to me. The return in investment just don’t do it for me.

With regards to rebuilds: my autox gti has been through 3 engine rebuilds in the 12 years I have owned it. Now, were these rebuilds due to engine failure? No but a hone, re ring and re seal kept it performing well, and was economical enough to justify. Piece of mind knowing that that the parts are there at the right price is some what reassuring; lets me push the car a little farther than I may have otherwise.

I get it, this is not a popular choice. Maybe my perspective is slightly different than some with regards to the vehicle... it’s just a car, one that I bought to have fun with. Fortunately, I happen to have the ability and resources to greatly increase its performance at a price far less than traditional routes... of course this option does not carry the Porsche crest, but nether did the original engine. I like the car due to its styling, handeling capabilities, and the quality / quarks of a German made vehicle of the era.... and the fact it’s a vw audi parts bin car. As these are the marquees I have been toying with for quite Some time. In America, with domestic cars, this is simply basic hotrodding.. take what you have available, get creative, and make your vehicle faster and better performing than it was before. Chevy engines in fords? You bet! I think that Porsche badge is a hang up for some.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: