Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 Not cranking but "buzzing"...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATBAAF  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: 924 Not cranking but "buzzing"... Reply with quote

I bought this 1980 924 and the first time I tried to start it it went amazing, started right up. However I have now had the car for a day and the starter decided to stop working. Every once in a while it will work for me but not usually. When I turn the ignition I hear a kind of buzzing that goes from weak to strong within the time of 1 second and then when I release the ignition the car does to opposite, Strong buzzing to weaker buzzing about a second long. I thing the sound may be coming from the rear of thee car but i could be wrong about that. I don't think that that buzzing is supposed to be there like a warning or something but maybe so. Any help or Ideas? THANK YOU!!
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 924 Not cranking but "buzzing"... Reply with quote

GATBAAF wrote:
I bought this 1980 924 and the first time I tried to start it it went amazing, started right up. However I have now had the car for a day and the starter decided to stop working. Every once in a while it will work for me but not usually. When I turn the ignition I hear a kind of buzzing that goes from weak to strong within the time of 1 second and then when I release the ignition the car does to opposite, Strong buzzing to weaker buzzing about a second long. I thing the sound may be coming from the rear of thee car but i could be wrong about that. I don't think that that buzzing is supposed to be there like a warning or something but maybe so. Any help or Ideas? THANK YOU!!

Check your wiring from the battery to the starter and the other + connections coming off the battery.. The big starter wire and the alternator wire are often corroded and need replacement..
Make sure you have a good engine and chassis ground from the battery also, or at least battery to chassis and chassis to engine ground..
Check the contacts on the starter..
Clean the ends of your fuses and their recepticals..
It could be your ignition switch so suspect that too..

Buzzing from the rear, behind the right rear tire, is the fuel pumps.. They make noise but it's not supposed to be too loud..
If you think they are excessively loud they might be bad, you might have a clogged fuel filter, could be the system pressure regulator..
Do a fuel pump flow test and compare your results to the specs in the hanes manual..
Also check the electrical contact at your fuel pumps, clean them..
Check the mounts on your main inline fuel pump and make sure it isn't vibrating against your chassis. It is supposed to be on rubber isolator mounts and maybe it isn't?

I'm not sure what to make of the buzz tapering in and out.. Could be the pump vibrating, maybe you are hearing the return circuit opening and closing, I don't know..

You could make a video of your symptoms.. That could help remote diagnostic efforts immensely..

I don't think the fuel pumps should be running if the engine isn't turning over so your fuel pump wiring may not be 100% original either..

I forget if your car is supposed to have the tach signal or the airplate position to kick on the pumps..
GATBAAF  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: GOT IT! Reply with quote

Thank you for the help. I think that i have found the problem. If you just lightly turn the key the fuel pumps will start up but the starter will not. However if you really crank the key over, it will start right up. I feel so stupid it took me this long to figure that dumb solution out. I can now start the car but it is a little annoying. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this so it is a little easier to start?
Paul  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace your ignition switch?
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
GATBAAF  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Ignition switch Reply with quote

I finally got the switch changed out. I was just a little nervous to pull all of the wheel apart. Looks like that was the problem. Thanks to all that helped!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: