Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Oil light on after pressure wash!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Oil light on after pressure wash! Reply with quote

For the Sportscar Together Day, my 924 was one of the featured models that the local Dealership had on display. I cleaned the car up real nice, because a. It looks good clean and waxed and b. It was representing the 924 group.

After I washed and waxed the car, I let it sit for an hour or so before I took it to the show. When I started it, the Oil Light lit up and would not go off. I turned the car off, ensured it had oil, which it did. And then drove it to the show. No problems, the car ran like the tank it is. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Question is, did I blow a connector, or short something under the hood with the high pressure spray. Car still runs and drives, no weird noises or high temperatures. Just the oil light. I don't like lights on when there shouldn't be.

Any ideas, anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read something about foil heat shielding behind the head there touching the oil press sensor contacts and giving a false reading..

Did you check your connections at the sensor?
What is the oil press gauge saying?
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil pressure gauge is reading as full pressure. Nothing wrong there.
I haven't had a good moment yet to check the connections at the sensor. I will hopefully do that this weekend.

Thank you FastEddie. (love the Color of Money, great flick)
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one of the two contacts on the sensor is for the light, so... yes.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick look over the weekend. So busy with Fathers Day and packing for a move, so didn't quite get the look I wanted to. I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. I did use some contact cleaner on other connections.

Hopefully I will get another chance to look this week. Car still runs like a tank. Love it.
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
daniel  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnect the light wire from the sensor. If the light stays on you likely have a short in your wiring. If it goes out buy a new sensor
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get some time with the car yesterday. Looked all through the engine bay but couldn't find the sensor. Maybe I am looking in the wrong area. As we are packing for a move, we have packed up the Haynes manual, does someone have a picture of where I should be looking for the sensor? With the way things are going I may be going in circles.

Thanks a bunch.
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back of the head just under the distributor housing, just to the passengers side of the coolant flange..

Stick your hand down to touch #4 exhaust runner then slip your hand around the back of the head there and feel a thing about 2" diameter round with 2 contact studs sticking off it's backside..
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resolved!!!

So after driving the car around for a little bit. No long trips due to the heat and uncertainty of the oil light, I was preparing the car for a local charity car show. I moved it out of the garage to give it a quick vacuum and pressed on the button where the handbrake rests. The oil light went out!! Let the button go and the light came back on!. Did this a couple of times to make sure I was seeing everything right, and I was.

The Handbrake switch doesn't get pressed when the handbrake lever is down, it just doesn't sit right. I had the button pushed down and moved over to the right and under the handbrake perch so it must have popped up.

Now to get back under the dash and move the lights around so that the proper one is illuminated when the button decides to rise up again.
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: