Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1982 Porsche 924 turbo back to life

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pc007  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: 1982 Porsche 924 turbo back to life Reply with quote

Hi guys ! I’m from sunny Europe and Just got an 82 924 Turbo, being a Porsche fan, this is probably my favourite transaxle, very nimble car with more than enough power to have real fun!

So the car has been stoped for 10 years and previous owner had it running for w few months before selling the car, it drives as it should for a “10 year on the barn” car!

So I was thinking of going this route on immediate maintenance to the car:

- oil/ filter
- air filter
- gasoline filter
- water pump
- engine “chain”
- cooling fluid
- plugs
- fuel lines? Any one I should absolutely replace?
- suspension
- arms bushes
- engine mounts
- clutch/ flywheel
- bearings
- Ac charge
- new exhaust ( corroded)
- brakes/ fluid + restoration kit

So any thing I should also address in this “ back to life” project?

Also Can you guys give me some ideas for exhausts (“improve” a little the noise and performance) and also suspension, what’s the best choice for you guys?

Thanks!!
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerflex bushings do a lot, if you fit a larger diameter mufler at the end of the factory exhaust it will sound much richer.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... did I not see timing belt on that list??

I've been very happy with ride quality, performance, and durability of the Bilstein HD shocks on mine.

Welcome to the board! Where in Portugal are you? Have some family over there, Estoril and such...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Pc007  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys

Morghen, any brand and model for the exhaust?

924RACR, timing belt is what I indicated as “engine chain” for lack of English technical vocabulary... I’m based in beautiful Porto, 2hr drive from Estoril/ Lisbon! That’s very good to know that you have family in Portugal!!

About the Bilstein’s, is there a specific reference? Model? How can I distinguish the inserts in the front suspension? Is there a way to check it visually?

Thanks !
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with a custom stainless steel pipe welded on top of the factory mufler, the original piece was cut down from the box and a bigger diameter pipe was welded on. 80mm diameter if i remember correctly.
Sounded very very good for a 4cyl car.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exhaust = first lose the centre box. Weld in a new stainless section off the front pipe to the existing mid flange, no silencing. Then make a new stainless back box/silencer section of a size and sound you would like. Different sizes give a different noise/note.

I assume you have a stainless exhaust garage near you to do the work? Relatively easy to do for €200-400. Much better than buying an off the shelf option.

Will sound better and have less back pressure on the turbo so it will spool more easily.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, maybe I need to line up a center box delete for my car... though IIRC it's the cat, which I'm not sure I'd want to cut out, just in case it's wanted later...

For the HD's, I think it's the only Bilstein available for the car? Bilsteins are green... Konis are yellow... but you probably don't have either... KYBs are white, OEM Boges maybe are blue?
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
Mmmm, maybe I need to line up a center box delete for my car... though IIRC it's the cat, which I'm not sure I'd want to cut out, just in case it's wanted later...

Make two mid sections off the front pipe. a straight through slip jointed mid section and modify the cat section to also slip joint the front pipe. Then you have an easy bolt/slip on alternative as and when required. Not need to touch the front or back section during the swap overs. Simples.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yeah, good point... Durrr...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: