Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Temp gauge sensor versus DME temp sensor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
austinporsche  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Temp gauge sensor versus DME temp sensor Reply with quote

I am a bit confused here, so hopefully someone can help me sort this out.

My car has two coolant temp related sensors, both on the top of the engine under the intake manifold plenum.

The one closer to the front of the car is blue with a blue 2 blade female connector; I put the multimeter to it, and according to the charts in Clark's garage it tests like a DME temp sensor: 3000ohm+ at 40F and 220-225ohms at 212F/100C (boiling

The other sensor is back from the blue one and is a single pole sensor (presumably the sensor body provide the ground thru contact with the engine; I have not pulled it yet to test it (but per Clarks, it should test between 290ohms when cold to 25ohms when at 212/100C.

What is confusing me is that both my car and one other on the site seem to show this single pole sensor, while the picture in Clarks garage seems to shows two 2 pole sensors.

Compounding my confusion, I cannot seem to find a single pole temp gauge sensor anywhere for the 924S, so not sure this even exists.

I just ordered a Bosch "coolant temp sensor" from Rock Auto, and now I am worried that I am getting a DME temp sensor and not a temp gauge sensor.

Anyone who can shed light on this for me would be most appreciated.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

924S coolant temp sender is shown as 944 606 201 00 - different than the 924 2.0L which is 047 919 501 A.

Strange they're not interchangeable... but anyway, seems they're both 1-wire senders.

Also... the early 944 uses the same temp sender as the early 924, NOT the same as the 924S (per the parts manual).

That could easily explain an incorrect reading...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
austinporsche  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Vaughn.

I posted this separate as I was worried it would get lost in the noise of my first post, but got lots of responses on the 1 versus 2 post question.

Great forum (and I know good from bad -- I belong to about 15 of them for all the different car makes I own).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: