Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

porsche 924 1977 fuel accumulator problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillipbpruitt  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: porsche 924 1977 fuel accumulator problem Reply with quote

question about fuel accumulator on a 1977 924
Took out both set screws, both are leaking fuel.
Could that cause the car to start for a few seconds and then die.
My theory is, that the Cold start injector is holding fuel pressure, once it turns off the car can’t hold pressure causing it to die!
I dont have a cis pressure tester, but i heard that if the set screws leak fuel, then the diaphragm is broken
Eric P  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If fuel comes out when you remove the screw, you need a new fuel accumulator. I believe Porsche updated this so that there was 1 40cc fuel accumulator instead of two 20cc fuel acumulators. If you know they need to be replaced, I would start there.

Typically a bad accumulator will cause hot start problems because the fuel pressure leaks down too quickly. It may cause other issues as well.

Have you tried pulling the fuel injectors (put the tips in fuel resistant bottles) and jumpering the fuel pump relay? The injectors shouldn't flow until you lift the flow plate. Don't attempt to turn the car over until you know that you're not flooding the cylinders with fuel. It's common for the o-rings in the fuel distributor to tear. 3/4 of the o-rings in my car were bad when I bought it. The car would start but it would only run for a second or two and flood out. Luckily the previous owner gave up before he bent a rod.
phillipbpruitt  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I’m flooding the car with fuel, because it’ll start for two seconds then die. So I keep restarting it and it’ll do it until I flood it out by constantly starting it.
I replaced the fuel distributor, warm up regulator, all the fuel injectors spray evenly etc.
I do need to re run some vacuum lines, but the car was running without them.

So far both fuel accumulators leak. Both of them. I figured it would be losing fuel pressure once, the cold start injector shuts off because the diaphragms aren’t holding anymore.

Because regardless fuel is running through them constantly!
Eric P  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start by fixing the issues you know of. Don't proceed with trying to start it until you've sorted those issues.

You need new accumulators and you need to fix your vacuum lines. Any troubleshooting with these known issues is pointless.

Once you have that sorted, make sure that your injectors are only spraying when the flow plate is lifted. Pull the injectors out of the head, put the tips in fuel resistant bottles, jumper the fuel pump relay. Check that the injectors aren't leaking, dribbling, or spraying until you lift the plate.

Fix your known issues and do your basic maintenance first. If you think you're flooding the engine, don't turn it over until you fix it. Cranking a flooded engine can cause major damage to your engine (blown gaskets, bent rods, seized rod bearings, etc.) Does your oil smell like gas? If the answer is yes, you're flooding it.
jrobinson  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: I have same problem Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I have the exact same problem. I have replaced both accumulators. I have fixed all vacuum leaks. I replaced the fuel pump. I have cleaned out all fuel lines. I am NOT getting fuel out of all injectors ( new ). I must now assume I need to rebuild, or replace the fuel distributor. This has been the most frustrating problem to overcome ( assuming I will overcome it someday!) I'm open to suggestions. Car starts pretty easy but dies after a few seconds.
agfisher  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you unscrewed the injectors and checked if you are getting fuel to the injector? How about removing the fuel supply line to the distributor and jumper it the fuel pump. See if fuel is getting to the distributor.

Adam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: