Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Installing Liquid Water to Air Intercooler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigFish246  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Installing Liquid Water to Air Intercooler Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been addressed before.
What kind of effort would installing this be?

Aluminum Liquid Water to Air Intercooler.

- Overall Size: 12"x11"x4.5"
- Core Size: 11"x6"x4.5"
- 3" Air Inlet Outlet
- NPT 1/2 Water Inlet Outlet
- 4.5" Thick

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/FOtsYvjFcxBIPA5a2[/img]

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FOtsYvjFcxBIPA5a2
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks kinda right for a top mount, maybe..
Not going to be a super easy job, you will have to make things so custom work is involved.. With L2A you will have to install a radiator somewhere and lines and a pump with electronics too..

20 hours of deep thought and 8 hours of hands on maybe if it goes smoothly and you are good at figuring out how to plumb and make things like mounts, figure out where/how to put a radiator..
Not super easy..

ideola has a hit for like $1k-$1.3k something that is a lot more bolt on with instructions, won't have to make it yourself.. http://garage.ideola.com/prod-BoostSolutions.html
I think he has the A2A top mount now too.. Yep..

Rasta's shaggy has a L2A in the battery box for another example to study..

Their are a few a2a top mounts and front mounts to look at too to really decide which way you want to go..
ideola  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That unit won't fit under the hood over the valve cover. You'll need to put it in the battery tray, and relocate the battery. There are several links here to DIY intercooler installation before mine were available. I think you'll be hard pressed to do it for less than the bolt on kit that I have...
3forall  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Ideola says it won't fit on top of the engine, it's at least 2.5-3.0 inches too thick. I installed the exact same intercooler and put it on the driver side of the engine bay next to the frame rail.
About that intercooler, unless you're aiming for large HP numbers it's completely overkill. One size down with the 2.5" in/outlet will be easier to fit and provide plenty of cooling

As for the effort, you will have to find a place to install the radiator for the intercooler. I used an aluminum go-cart radiator and put in front of the driver's side wheel ( I cut out a large part of the wheel well). If you have some know how in fabrication and an adequate set of tools it can be done in a very busy weekend and less than $400 in parts. If not, better go with a kit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: