Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

rattles in dash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
16again2009  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: rattles in dash Reply with quote

I have a 1988 924s. There are rattles in the dash. Are there any usual suspects?
Eric P  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few things making noises in my dash:

The heater fan - More of a squeaking noise, but oiling the motor is a good idea whether you think it's making noise or not.

The foam backing - The center console has a foam backing inside. Mine had turned to dust. You can buy 1/8" sheets of adhesive backed foam to replace it. The new foam took a lot of rattles out of my car.

The shifter lever - The pin on the leaver wears into a football shape. You need to pull the shifter boots off to see it. Once the lever is worn, it will rattle around and cause sloppy shifting. The rattle almost sounds like loose change rattling around in the ash tray. There are a few solutions. A new spring washer will fix the rattle but the shifter will still be sloppy feeling. I fixed mine with a bolt and some thrust washers from mcmaster carr.

My guess is that you need to take a look at the foam backing. While you're in there, make sure all your bolts are snug. It could be that something vibrated loose.

Hope that helps. Without hearing it, those are my first suspects.
16again2009  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. It gives me a good place to start. I will check those out this weekend. I have already done the shifter like you did. I will post what I find. It is so valuable to learn from others what they have done.
Mskeet  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: I had it too Reply with quote

The front of the dash where it meets the screen is very thin and with the foam decayed it moves around easily. I bought a length of black foam used to draft proof windows. I ran this along the bottom of screen and it pushed right down in the gap, it's very unobtrusive and stopped my squeaks.

Maybe try that?
16again2009  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I will try this. How thick was the foam you used?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: