Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My third 924 is a 931 restore thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johann  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with getting her running again. I see many parallels between our projects!
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johann wrote:
Good luck with getting her running again. I see many parallels between our projects!

Thanks Johann. I read your 931 thread and that's a very sweet car you have. I can only hope to get mines looking as well!
BBC1964  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates on this?
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC1964 wrote:
any updates on this?

No real updates at this time. I've been spending all my time and cash on the 924S autocross project. I do periodically start the 931 and let it run for a 1/2 hour or so. The longer I go between starts, the harder it is to start. That will be the case until I have the WUV and fuel distributor rebuilt. Hopefully I'll be back on the 931 by summer time.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Time to get back on this one Reply with quote

I just read through my thread and that's a great way to refresh what's been done to this 931. It will be two years since I purchased it next month. I've done a lot of work to it but there's still SO MUCH MORE that needs to be done.

Yesterday I did the monthly start (with ether of course) and actually took it down the road to slosh the fluids around, do some hard braking and make sure the electrics are still working. No changes so that's good.

I think I've decided the best plan of action to get this project moving forward is a engine re-build. I looked back and the compression numbers when I got it weren't good. I think that's a big part of the reason cold start is so difficult.

I also looked through the Porsche work book on procedures and much of that process is going to be out of my skill set. Anyone here know of a shop that specializes in these engines? That may be a fall project but best start exploring options now.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Things change Reply with quote

A lot has happened since my last post on this thread. Divorce, preparing the house for sale and buying an '85 928S. The divorce wasn't my idea but I'm using it as a vehicle to sell my current residence and build a garage apartment for all my projects. That will be 44' x 88' with living space. Plenty of room to work on and store cars. The 928S happened because it was a great deal. Although a non-runner, it didn't take a lot of time or money to get it cleaned up and running. The 924S race car is resting in the trailer waiting on race tires for next season.

So the 931 is still in the garage and no progress to report. Last time I tried to start the starter was just clicking even with a fully charged battery. I suspect the battery to starter cable is not passing enough current any longer. I might attempt a bypass cable this weekend. I need to run it to keep the fuel system gunk free. If it's not the cable, then I'll need have the starter re-built.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got this one started again. Turned out to be a failing starter and a bad battery. Had the starter rebuilt and used a gel battery out of a race car. I'll keep periodically starting until I move. Perhaps I'll even be able to drive this one to my garage apartment when it's done.
Stunter  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read through this thread because the Color mismatch question was linked in IDEOLA's thread of his list of cars. I just purchased an '81 931 from a friend of mine with color code U7U7 which was the metallic black code before '82. Mine is also physically a charcoal grey metallic. The car was my friend's dad's car and he says they did have it painted, but had it painted same as before. He says they didn't repaint the inside of the hatch or under hood though, and those are also charcoal, not black.

Does your car have the Option sticker in the hatch area? I noticed in the other thread, that the option sticker you posted was out of the manual. Mine is missing on hatch, and didn't have the manual. So I guess it could have been re-painted more than once.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunter wrote:
I just read through this thread because the Color mismatch question was linked in IDEOLA's thread of his list of cars. I just purchased an '81 931 from a friend of mine with color code U7U7 which was the metallic black code before '82. Mine is also physically a charcoal grey metallic. The car was my friend's dad's car and he says they did have it painted, but had it painted same as before. He says they didn't repaint the inside of the hatch or under hood though, and those are also charcoal, not black.

Does your car have the Option sticker in the hatch area? I noticed in the other thread, that the option sticker you posted was out of the manual. Mine is missing on hatch, and didn't have the manual. So I guess it could have been re-painted more than once.

I'd have to look again but I'm pretty sure the trunk option sticker is still in this 931 and matches the one in the owners manual. So there's something odd about that paint code on these S2 931s. Thank you for confirming my suspicions.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Some recent success Reply with quote

We're in the process of completing the garage apartment and I've had some time to work on the 931. A new battery made all the difference getting it started after several months inert. Then I read up on adjusting the air mixture, idle and timing. Feeling confident, I looked at the air mixture bolt and it wasn't even close to being long enough to effect the plate (all the posts indicate that was a caps screw OE, replaced with 6mm bolt with locking nut and seal). That done, I was able to set idle at 1500 rpm to check timing. It was really close and confirmed proper advance at 4500 rpm. the I started fine tuning air/fuel mix and idle. It really helps to have a timing light with RPM in front of you. The AF mix is super sensitive and I was able to get good idle and proper throttle response. I'll try a cold start later today but indications are I won't have to use starter fluid anymore.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Test run Reply with quote

Took the 931 for a run to get fresh fuel. On the road it is bogging down mid-rev. Idle at stop lights is good but pulling away it feels like it's running on 3 cylinders. Close to full throttle it runs pretty good. I think there's an intake leak and it's running lean. I'll try spraying starter fluid around intake manifold and throttle body to locate the leak.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:31 am    Post subject: March madness Reply with quote

So I sold the 928S and now have some decent room in the garage apartment. I've had this 931 listed for sale for awhile with only a couple serious buyers. One young man (forgot his name) came by to look at it and did some re-solder work on the DME. He also was very helpful with the AFM and getting that more dialed in. I finally found the set screw to adjust the plate, idle and throttle are as good as they've ever been.

I've done a couple of interior fixes. Installed a fairly modern stereo and found the OE speakers to be good (very surprising). Installed another passenger window switch that came off my 924S race car. Repaired a broken door stay anchor on the drivers door with a OE 928 part a buddy gave me.

Also evacuated and charged the AC system. It's hard to tell if that's working correctly until ambient temps come up. I might need a new dryer and pressure switch but I'm not seeing any coolant leaks.

While we're in this national emergency, I'll just keep tinkering around but ultimately this car needs two big ticket items - engine rebuild, paint and body. There's no way I'm going to spend that until we get through this and jobs come back.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: 02 sensor Reply with quote

I finally got around to getting a new O2 sensor installed. I found the connector mounted the suspension cross member but the connecting lead was missing. As well as some of the connector. Pulling the OE senor was troublesome and that buggered the threads in the bung. My local O'Reilly's had the part but I had to make a second trip to get a chaser socket. Once installed I used some wire to link the sensor with the connector. I used on of the new low temp solder butt splices to join the wire to the connector. Found those through an ad on Facebook and they work really well. Idle seems to be more consistent now.

Fixed the rear wiper as well. Used a Bosch old school blade but had to transfer the stud from the OE blade which required some butchery and drilling. Looks very original however.

[img][/img]

[/img][img]

[/img][img][/img]
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking this thread back up. I'm going to rebuild this 931 as it no longer starts. I'll post photos with questions and hopefully you guys will let me know when I'm screwing up.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: