Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

ANYONE DOING ANYTHING EXCITING ON THEIR CAR ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 149, 150, 151  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the fuel filter this weekend and rigged up the exhaust with bailing wire temporarily so I can drive it until I get the proper bracket in from Porsche. With the new filter, my start is much quicker and it seems to idle a bit better as well. The old filter said "W. Germany" so maybe it was an original! Good thing I replaced it finally...

I have a new distributor cap and rotor, and new spark plugs, but I'm waiting on plug wires until I change it all. The wires on there don't look bad, but I have had good looking wires crumble when I remove them before, so I'll just leave it for now. I had an eye on a wire set from Amazon that was only $55 for the proper part (Bosch 09020) but they're all sold out and the only place I can find them is the Pelican for almost $90. Anyone have a line on a lower cost wire set or should I just pull the trigger on the one on Pelican?

Still trying to source a new original radiator and coolant expansion tank... turns out the new expansion tank cap I put on last month at Dan's gtg did help a bit but it seems my expansion tank is still leaking at the dimple... :/
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove it again today, amazing weather, great open roads.

931 twinturbo  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started to remove dust from this badboy.
Never done a engine rebuild before, so i`ll think this is a good time to start. My 964 is more or less done, one 911 in Lithuania for restoration. No free hours to work on cars, so making space in the outside storage room for me and my 924 turbo engine.
Have bought a few upgrade parts last 10-15 years, so the time should be right to start now. Waiting on the last parcel from Ideola. And when thats indoors. The rebuild will start...

Wish me luck.......

924Na stock 1982Mod
*911S Targa slantnose 1975mod
*924Na 1977Mod Carrera GT kit
*944NA Type 1 1984Mod
*924 Turbo Serie2 1980mod
*924 Turbo Serie2 1980Mod
*924NA 1982Mod
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck !
I just had bad luck with my turbo rebuild
macBdog  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the cage construction done! Very tempted to spend the weekend welding it all up but instead I did a bunch of macro etch tests. Appreciate comments from those with the relevant experience:

I'm still convinced the word 'Porsche' makes people crazy in all kinds of ways
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to start them 924s but it was below freezing and with thick 15W oil that's not always a great idea.
Ended up having some fun with my new machine.
What a ridiculously capable machine this is
40 deg slopes stop on and start from on snow on top of grass? no problem.
It feels like it will climb up and down any place.
Its clearly way too heavy and underpowered for any road fun but off-road it will actually lock up the rear diff and transfer enough power to the rear wheels to make it tail happy which is abundantly fun.
Not so fun is stopping the 2.5 ton thing after it went tail happy on you as it has quite the inertia

Rather handsome if I stare at it enough, at least compared to its more expensive brother with the Porsche badge on.

Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
my new machine.

Sweet!
I just bought a pretty decent X5 and it is RWD biased enough to be pretty tail happy all the time, with the traction control off, on these snowpack/ice winter roads.. 2006 w/ 101k

I have like 2-3 feet of snow already!!

I haven't quite nailed down the best way to disable the ABS yet but keeping the traction control because the GF likes it but still hates the ABS..
You drive real winters your whole life in AWD and RWD cars with no ABS, it makes you really not like ABS..

Got my mom an MDX and the ABS on that thing!!! Danger danger..
Pretty much impossible to come to a complete stop with that thing on ice..
Kill the ABS, stops in 1/10th the distance..

The BMW ABS is miles better but still no good at low speed on ice..

The BMW traction control and ABS package are pretty good though if you like that sort of thing.. You can flogg it in a corner and slam on the breaks and it does a great job of not letting you get into trouble..

Turn it off though and you can go kicking the tail out all over town..

Did I mention drive by wire is gross? Lag at the apex is like wtf is going on around here.. And highway driving throttle modulation, terrible.. Can't feel a thing, look down and wow I'm doing 90, or wow I'm doing 60.. Hard to cruise steady.. 3.0 I6 M54

Pretty damn good 4x4, feels like it works the same as my subaru.. If my x% doesn't have a rear LSD I'd be surprised because it acts like it does..

the m54 3.0 I6 has gobs of torque compared to my 3.0 I6 s50 M3 but the s50 is better revved up, more top end HP..
931 has even more..

The MDX feels like a minivan.. Front wheel predominant crap, rolly suspension, too high of seating position for me.. Supposedly has more HP than the X5 but it's not super impressive and I've only really wrapped it out during my pre-purchase test drives..
Why yes I make sure everything I buy runs fine to redline before I plop down cash..

The X5 is VERY planted, like a tank, quiet inside, heavy doors, great sound deadening, almost no NVH, super stable at like 60 on snowpack.. Drove it through about 1.5 feet of virgin snow and it creeped right through it with all season tires.. I want some real snow/ice tires though..
Very happy with it..

Very very happy with my X5 so far

GF wanted an X5 soo bad just from looks so I didn't really shop around the tourage and other SUVs too much, though about the lincoln navigator, toyota land cruiser and fj..

The X5 cost me about 0.55 BTC ...
Less than I paid for the intercooler and some hardware on my 931
It's the most expensive intercooler on this board for sure..
robin  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was looking for a clutch for my NA and found it was rather expensive ...
i found that the clutch disk for
MercedesA klasse (W168) Hatchback (1997 - 2004)
MercedesA klasse (W169) Hatchback (2004 - 2012)
Mercedes B klasse (W245) Hatchback (2005 - 2011)
Mercedes Vaneo (W414) MPV (2001 - 2005)
share the same measurements and you pay less than half the price ...
not 100% sure it will work though :-s
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice winter sleds! Imo winter is best enjoyed with rwd. My 318d e91 will probably be around one last winter, and will be drifted everywhere as usual. The key is narrow proper winter tyres, Nokian hakka R in my case. Won't take that 40 degree slope though
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter is most fun with RWD indeed but AWD has a tremendous advantage when it comes to grip on snow.
Unfortunately snow melted here and we have 15deg C so no joy..but I hope snow will come back soon.

robin wrote:

Ha? its like 150 euro for the whole clutch kit.
You either misspelled your country name to Belgium instead of Somalia or you got a bullshit deal on the clutch kit.
robin  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Winter is most fun with RWD indeed but AWD has a tremendous advantage when it comes to grip on snow.
Unfortunately snow melted here and we have 15deg C so no joy..but I hope snow will come back soon.

robin wrote:

Ha? its like 150 euro for the whole clutch kit.
You either misspelled your country name to Belgium instead of Somalia or you got a bullshit deal on the clutch kit.
no realy ... i've been looking on sites either the netherlands, belgium or germany they all ask around 365€ for a sachs clutch kit and yes i'm talking about the NA clutch kit
Dutch924-racer  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see, pm. Sachs set is new available for just 70 euro.
Fast road camshaft
Forge recirculation valve + boost controller
Sunset924  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put away the 924 and started the winter time tinkering... Pulled out the winter car from summer hibernation
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice cars
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally managed to solve the issue I created when I had the turbocharger rebuilt and modified.
I kept the S1 #6 turbine but since my S1 compressor was shot, I used an S2 compressor and a custom billet compressor wheel. However I did not tighten the backplate to the middle part of the turbocharger and oil went trough, flooding the compressor and making it boost very little and laggy as hell...also big clouds of smoke until the engine cut out since too much oil was being burned.
Anyway, two days of work later, turbo off, inspected, cleaned, tightened and put back in the car.
The car drives amazingly, this billet compressor wheel is fantastic, it builds max boost quicker than the factory unit.
The output is very torquey pretty down low, a blast to drive.
Missed driving this car so much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
Page 131 of 151

Jump to: