Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Noisy suspension

View previous topic :: View next topic  
16again2009  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Noisy suspension Reply with quote

I have a 1988 924S. Whenever I drive down an even mildly bumpy road my suspension bangs and bumps and creaks. It has new shocks, new tires, new brakes. I checked everything and nothing is loose. The trans mounts are good. I've never driven a different porsche so I have nothing to compare to. Is the just the way they sound or do you think something is wrong. Thanks for your help.
16again2009  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the better question would be when you go down a bumby road does your car ride smooth like a cadillac or more bumpy like a log wagon? Or do you guys even drive your cars?
Eric P  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16again2009 wrote:
Maybe the better question would be when you go down a bumby road does your car ride smooth like a cadillac or more bumpy like a log wagon? Or do you guys even drive your cars?

I don't have my S on the road yet, but I have been rippin' the 1980 around for a summer. My suspension is fairly quiet with the exception of a fairly loud clunking noise on the rear driver side if I hit a large pothole or speed bump. I looked it over quick and didn't see anything out of the ordinary but I haven't had a chance to investigate it further. At any rate, I doubt it's a normal noise. The suspension is a bit stiffer than a Cadillac and doesn't offer that "floating" feeling on a bumpy road. I can't say I've ever ridden on a log wagon, so you're on your own there.

If you have a lot of noise, you should probably investigate. You may have old worn out bushings, dry ball joints, or something else that needs attention. At any rate, you shouldn't be able to hear your suspension over the creaking and rattling noises coming from the dash
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab your exhaust pipe and try to wiggle it all around. It may have a broken hanger and is banging on the body or suspension somewhere.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
16again2009  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the input. I shall investigate further. Now I know it is not normal. I checked the exhaust and it is fine. It sounds more like something is going up and down and making a noise(if that makes any sense). I have brand new boges on it so I know its not the shocks. I shall investigate the rubber bushings. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: