Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Aftermarket mufflers and boost gauge installs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bureau13  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Aftermarket mufflers and boost gauge installs Reply with quote

A couple questions....first, where do you guys plumb your boost gauges into? Is there a generally preferred place to do that? And is there an existing path through the firewall that I can get to easily (I'm mounting the gauge in the center speaker location).

Also, my car sounds like it has an exhaust leak. The tailpipe itself is missing, but I don't think that has much to do with the sound...I suspect the muffler has deteriorated. I don't mind the loud, but if there's an opportunity to replace it with something that might sound better as well as providing better flow, I'm all for it. I have a Borla on my 928 which sounds great, but I saw a video comparing a Borla and a Magnaflow on 4 cylinder VWs (recent though, like Golfs, which I realize sound very different) and the Magnaflow was amazing. Anyone do this? Any real benefit beyond sound?

Thanks
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Garagenut  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am looking for a better and louder sound than the borla.... Did you get any info that you can share?
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've plumbed my boost gauge teed into one of the small ports by the throttle body (downstream of the throttle plate of course). There's a port in the firewall behind the cold start valve/intake, which I used. Had to put a short piece of brake line through there to carry the vac signal, otherwise a flexible hose would get pinched.

Haven't had capacity to change out my exhaust yet, but I plan to put a Dynomax on there when I have time... busy building an NA race motor at the moment...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: