Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

repairing seat sliders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric P  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: repairing seat sliders Reply with quote

My seats move front to back easily but they're really "crunchy". Since I had to pull the seats out to replace my musty carpet padding, I pulled the sliders off the bottom of the seat to see. It looks like I have a bunch of gunk, rust, and uneven wear on the bearing tracks.

What's the best way to clean/smooth the tracks to get these things rolling like new again? They're a fairly low priority on this car but I figure that I should do something while I'm in there.
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brake disk cleaner, spray.
2-3 tubes.
then treat for rust, paint and grease.
don't use stinky grease! most of them stink.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might also try a wire wheel for the hard to reach areas, or if the brake cleaner doesn't do it enough for ya or the rust is flaking too bad.
Eric P  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned and greased them but they're still bumpy and crunchy. They feel a bit better, but when I sit in the car and adjust the seats, the loud crunching noise doesn't really inspire thoughts of quality German engineering.

The tracks are chewed up from years of rust and grime being ground into them and I can't disassemble them to smooth everything out. Probably just time for new tracks while I have them out. Thanks for the suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: