Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1979 924 NA or 1980 924 Turbo shifting problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlayerSST  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by SlayerSST on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:18 am; edited 2 times in total
macBdog  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG. Dude. Put the chisel down. Actually just step away from the car all together.

I can't even begin...
I'm still convinced the word 'Porsche' makes people crazy in all kinds of ways
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that had to be fueled by beer.

You know it isn't that hard to reach that joint. Quite a bit less effort than chiseling a bunch of steel, I'd think.
bnoon  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH-EM-Gee!!! Fueled by stupid compounded by beer... That is so not right. At least use a cutoff wheel then weld the piece back in.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horsepucky, just pull the trans. Takes very little time on a snail, and the CVs are probably in need of a service anyway.

Poor car.

mudkip  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: 1st gear poping out Reply with quote

hello I was having some issures with the shifting on my 924 turbo 1980 Porsche the shifting seems lose and it pops out of 1st gear im wondering if its a shift linkage issue maybe a bushing is warn b ut all the other gears go just fine so im wondering if its a issues in the trans mission or how I should go about fixing it
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1st gear poping out Reply with quote

mudkip wrote:
hello I was having some issures with the shifting on my 924 turbo 1980 Porsche the shifting seems lose and it pops out of 1st gear im wondering if its a shift linkage issue maybe a bushing is warn b ut all the other gears go just fine so im wondering if its a issues in the trans mission or how I should go about fixing it

Hyou read the rest of the thread? The loose shoft lever requires replacing the shift coupler bushings in the rear and sometimes the rod end bushing at the top of the torque tube. Then flush the transaxle oil so you can refill with Redline transmission fluid and see where that gets you.

That said, I suspect you've got internal damage leading to the transaxle popping out of gear so youll need to pull the transaxle to refresh it internally. Ideola's Garage seems to be the only one carrying a refresh kit for your transaxle and it isn't too bad for expense. Plan on refreshing the CV joints and boots while you've got it out for service.
jason c  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1st gear poping out Reply with quote

fiat22turbo wrote:
mudkip wrote:

Hyou read the rest of the thread? The loose shoft lever requires replacing the shift coupler bushings in the rear and sometimes the rod end bushing at the top of the torque tube. Then flush the transaxle oil so you can refill with Redline transmission fluid and see where that gets you.

That said, I suspect you've got internal damage leading to the transaxle popping out of gear so youll need to pull the transaxle to refresh it internally. Ideola's Garage seems to be the only one carrying a refresh kit for your transaxle and it isn't too bad for expense. Plan on refreshing the CV joints and boots while you've got it out for service.

That just about covers it. Popping out of gear is likely caused by worn bearings and/or broken springs & worn detents.
A1ain  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: 016Z transaxle removal Reply with quote

Hi everyone, just removing the Snailshell transaxle from my 79 924. Has anyone got tips on:
-accessing the top two bolts holding the transaxle to the torque tube?
-accessing the bolt holding the shift coupler to the transaxle?

Also, if I wanted to remove the torque tube, are there pinch bolts I have to access where it attaches to the bell housing?

Thanks, Alain
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top two bolts are crazy hard unless you have lots of angle drives, long extensions and short sockets. Easiest solution is to cut a panel in the body between the two rear seats.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
A1ain  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Sounds pretty drastic, I will definitely avoid cutting holes into the body. I'll have a go with the tools, do happen to have quite a few attachments. If it's not possible, does this mean removing the transaxle with the torque tube all together? Thanks.
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its no big deal, take the half shafts off first, then remove the exhaust and gearbox mounts.
Let the gearbox sit on the torsion bar housing and that will make it much easier to reach those bolts.
Before reaching those bolts get the linkage undone as you will get even more space to work.
In the end use two extensions with a rotateable joint in the midle and the correct bit at the end. Use a big lever as those screws are tight but its actually not difficult to get them out.
Support your gearbox all this time and dont forget about the power shaft coupling, it has two bolts as well.
A1ain  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the tips! I'll give it a go this weekend
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: