Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Another one follows me home.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Yeah, if you look at the vendor website, they'll usually specify how much camber the tires want.

In fact, if I'm recalling correctly -1° is less than even factory spec.

Right. I think the Hoosier specs are -3 IIRC.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Manual door window regulators Reply with quote

Yesterday I checked with Todd at 944 Orphanage looking for the Bowden cable on my drivers door. The original was failing with a backyard mechanic "fix" (crimped on electrical terminal). Of course Todd has the part and I mention replacing the window glass with Lexan pinned in. He's got the better solution though; optional 924/944 manual door window regulators (very rare). So today I'm pulling the electric regulators and replacing the bad cable.

The cable replacement requires removing the latch mechanism as there's a tiny locking ring holding that end of the cable. And to get that out, you've got to pull the rear glass track. There's a small sheet metal screw at the bottom of the door that holds that rear track in. I had already pulled the security plates that cover the latch mechanism. I scribed the latch to insure I got that back in the right spot, pulled the two screws and took that to the bench to replace the cable. Next was pulling the electric window regulator and installing the manual. I discovered the best way to keep the glass in the raised position is to put a clamp under it. That allows you to get the rollers in the tracks and then rotate the window regulator to bring the mounting plate in-line with the screw holes. Porsche engineers left the hole stamped for the manual spindle. After getting the track back in, remounting the door latch pull and testing both the door and the window, I'm over to the passenger side. That goes quicker as I'm not having to replace the cable. I realize that I've got a couple of window regulator handles from a 914 parts car and guess what... perfect fit!

Eventually I'll get the Lexan windows but this was a needed improvement for weight savings.

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Bad news and good news Reply with quote

Last weekend I participated in the SCCA Solo Champ Tour in south Georgia. Running in F Prepared with a S2000 and a 240Z with two drivers in each. On Friday I did six runs on the half-course test and tune. The 924S performed fairly well. Still having problems with inside wheel spin so that LSD is sorely needed. On the first day of competition I had two runs in and had picked up 1.5 sec. on that second run. Still far off the leader. On the third run about 1/4 through course I started hearing really bad grinding and metallic sounds from the drive train. I cut the run short and course workers pushed me off course. Rolling into grid the rear wheels locked up and I knew it was the trans axle. So we got some skates under the rear wheels and I got towed into paddock. The following morning I pulled the CV axles and with some help pushed the car onto the trailer. So I guess I'll be getting that 951 trans axle sooner than I expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYsWEEevwrQ&t=11s

Before leaving on that trip, I had received parts to rebuild the front control arms. I went with Delrin bushings and new ball joints. I strip the arms down Monday night, cleaned and then painted. Last night I reassembled with the new parts and I'm very pleased with the results.

Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put the same bushings on my race car. First race of the year in 2 weeks. I'll let you know.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Moving forward Reply with quote

After getting some good news regarding 2016 tax return, I'm putting more into this autocross project and try to get competitive. First is the replacement trans axle. I had already started discussions with Flying Horse Motorsports on getting an LSD. So with the OE trans axle cratering, we've agreed on getting a 016R AOR Turbo S box. Dimi has offered up a good price including inspection and limited warranty. Next aspect needing attention was suspension. The OE torsion bars and Weltmiester lowering springs were much too soft. So I ordered front strut adjustable spring perch kit with 400 lb. springs. I'll use the Koni single adjustable shock inserts that were already installed. I also ordered front camber adjustment plates. And I decided on the 30 series Koni adjustable height rear shocks with 375 lb. springs. I'm pulling out the torsion bars altogether. So this morning I dropped the muffler, tail pipe and trans axle. I also pulled off the single adjustable Koni rear shocks (I'll put those back on the 931). Then it was full tilt boogie dropping the torsion carrier using Clark's procedure. That's quite a job and I'm glad I shouldn't EVER have to do that again on this car. I'm going to clean all the hardware and spring plates so when I take the car back in for corner balance and alignment, all those eccentrics will have smooth operation. I'll be back at it in the morning. I've got one month to get all this back together before the next event.

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Suspension back together Reply with quote

I finished up on the coil over conversion last weekend. Putting the torsion carrier back in was not quite as bad as I thought it would be - just slow and easy and keep everything lined up. Cleaned up all the hardware and then bolted in the new 30 Series Koni rear coil over shocks. Those came with special hardware to mount inverted as they're much fatter than OE shocks. I had already cut the OE spring perches off the front strut tubes, cleaned and painted. The perch adjustment sleeve slides over, then the perch, springs and top hat. I took a guess at height adjustment and re-installed with new camber plates. I should have delivery on the Turbo S trans axle end of next week so I'm on-track for Blytheville Pro Solo at this moment. Fingers crossed!

Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, the delrin bushings worked perfectly on the race car this past weekend.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty50Plus wrote:
FYI, the delrin bushings worked perfectly on the race car this past weekend.

Excellent! I didn't do the rear bushings on mine. The OE actually looked really good and I didn't want to struggle with digging them out.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Back in the game Reply with quote

By the end of last weekend I had the rebuilt trans axle installed, CV axles and exhaust back on. I tested the trans axle while on jack stands after adding the gear oil Dimi recommended. Smooth as butter! A quick brake bleed and the wheels were back on. What was really fun was loading this 924S into the new 22' race trailer. Super nice and roomy! This week I adding a few finishing touches to the trailer (anchor points, work bench covering, etc.) and then next week I'll get the corner balance/alignment. I roughed in the spring perches and it's measuring 5 3/4" front, 6' 1/4" rear rocker panel to floor which I think it was close to before. There's only 5" clearance from the front air damn to the floor and that's low enough that I'll still have to use ramp extensions.

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I've been negligent updating this thread. The Pro Solo in Blytheville went really well with the car running great. The suspension upgrades and 951S trans axle were a HUGE improvement! Although my result was pretty much at the bottom of the R2 class, I'm having to adjust my techniques to a different car. Here's some photos of the car in paddock and some links to my best runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX6xRZjyrio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOKfYb4Ktnw
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Last weekend Reply with quote

And then I ran the car at a local regional event yesterday. The first heat it was running well and grip increased as tire temps came up. However, during the second heat it developed a high speed miss. I thought it was fuel related at topped off the fuel cell but no improvement. I'm thinking it's ignition now. It still has the distributor cap, rotor, plug wires and plugs that were in it when I bought it so I'm going to replace all that. What's the preferred spark plug for these NA 944/924S?
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Missing, missing, missing Reply with quote

This high RPM miss fire has been very troublesome. Here's what I've done so far...

1. Replaced spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and coil.
2. Replaced the TPS (original was NF at full throttle).
3. Installed adjustable FPR.
4. Put original chip back in 924S DME.
5. Tried a different 924S DME with the Lindsey chip.
6. Changed the fuel filter.
8. Confirmed good fuel flow from fuel pump.
9. Changed injectors from 924S (poor condition) to 944S injectors (better condition).
10. Changed AFM for tested good AFM.
11. Tested DME temp sensor and that's good.

I've tried different fuel pressure settings on the adjustable FPR and it runs best at 3 Bar but still has the miss fire between 4200 and rev limit.

So where I'm at now is I confirmed the DME and injectors were from the original 2.5L 924S engine. But this car had an engine swap to a '89 944 2.7L at some point. The '89 944 2.7L DME and injectors both have unique part numbers. So I suspect the 2.5L injectors don't have enough flow or wrong impedance. So I've got a set of Bosch 0 280 150 824 injectors coming and I'm on the hunt for the 944 618 121.06 DME. Let me know if you've got one for sale!

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: I think I have the solution Reply with quote

I did find the '89 2.7L DME and last night I installed that with the matching injectors those having been cleaned and tested by Witch Hunter Performance. Before installing the DME, I opened it up and found that the chip is larger than the 2.5L DME so I'm unable to use the Lindsey Racing performance chip. It appears that the other chips are different from the 2.5L DME also. Anyway, after getting those parts in the car started up nicely with good idle and then once up to temp - no miss fire at high RPM. So looking at the test data from Witch Hunter...

Resistance - 4.7

Static Flow - 97 to 98.5

Pulsed Flow - 106 to 108

cc/min @ 43.5 PSI - 194 to 197

Clark's page shows higher rated flow rates on the other injectors but I'm curious if test RPM doesn't effect that. Witch Hunter did their test @ 2500 RPM.

Bottom line is the engine appears to be running much better but I need to get it on course to really determine that. I've got the adjustable FPR set at 3.0 bar which matches Clark's data.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-12.htm

To really get the fuel/air mixture right I need a gauge and 5-wire O2 sensor. That and a fuel rail FP gauge as I'm using a test gauge with a hose in the garage.

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Back to racing Reply with quote

Here's an update on this SCCA FP autocross project...

I competed only one or two times after the last post. Corded the tires and I didn't really have the funds for replacements. But the 924S ran fairly well. I was getting some cutting out on course but a closer look at the fuel cell lead me to believe that I was getting fuel starvation from slosh. The foam in that Summit Racing 5 gal. cell is too small. Many times when I would check fuel level - the foam would be turned on it's side or otherwise jacked up. So I got another piece that fit the interior dimensions much better 12"x12"x3" and used the original foam on top of that. The new piece is also more porous. So we'll see how that helps fuel delivery.

The only improvement I have planned for this season is a lexan rear window for less weight. I've got that on order and I'll post photos when I do the install.

That, some new Hoosiers, corner balance and I should be good to go!
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: I think I have the solution Reply with quote

Han Solo wrote:

To really get the fuel/air mixture right I need a gauge and 5-wire O2 sensor. That and a fuel rail FP gauge as I'm using a test gauge with a hose in the garage.

Also...

I did get the AFM gauge and FP gauge. I made a sheet metal mount for that and the oil pressure gauge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: