Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Modifications to Wilson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowly getting there...

Noahs944  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't like the curvy approach, so decided to get back to basics tonight. Need to lower it like 3".

Rough set up with clamps.

Will be painted.

Going to make some nice end plates.

Noahs944  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to trying to accomplish a dual 3" side pipe exhaust. Might not work, but essentially: short 2.5" turbo down pipe to 3" single pipe, to 3" Y pipe to 2 Magnaflow 14419 mufflers (3" in/3" out. 4" diameter body).

I searched for sounds of dual #14419 muffs on a 4 cyl and this video turned up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYi-4wR9tdw
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's coming from JAPAN :jumper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTUL27WH-AM&t=55s
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my first successful week with my new job, and my desire to do it "awesomely" I spent the rent on a stage 2 Snow performance Water/Meth kit for Wilson.
I asked the stand alone builder what he thinks of H20/Meth & he said it's great for running pump gas to race performance. Looking at results, for like $500 you can get 50 hp (totally rough estimate) or my impression is I can run cheaper gas with a mild tune for daily commuting. I think it's very good value. Additionally it's very adjustable for "IN" and ""OUT" boost pressure, and has safety features built in.

In fact all 3 ecms (the Greddy EBC, SDS Engine Management System and the Snow Performance) have excellent safety devices built in.

I was thinking of shaving the head for higher compression (perhaps 8.5-8.7:1) but will leave at 8.1:1 (it's had a light shave when it was rebuilt to oem specs). The idea for higher compression was at Autocross & street driving it would be snappier. But I think I'll leave it stock so I can use cheaper gas and hoping the boost controller will add snappier lower end torque by controlling the external wastegate. To protect from detonation, the SDS EFI will use a Bosch knock sensor to retard timing and the H2-/Meth system will control octane by it's injection rate.

I HAVE NO MONEY ANYMORE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKMs1PBtxA0
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been internet searching & scheming and researching.
Clutch.
I wish I knew what torque the Sachs n/a clutch can hold.
I happen to have a few extra pressure plates in the garage. I think the beast solution is to double stack the n/a diaphragm springs & then get the disk side surface of the p.p. machined down the thickness of the 2nd spring.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All outta coin, so I guess I'll begin wrenching. Notice the stacked /cooler/condensor/rad.
Also going to run without a timing belt cover... maybe, depending if I get the air ducting and wheel wells shielded properly. Would love to run without the cover, plus I need to crank mount the magnets & mount a hall sensor from the crank pulley so need to get rid of some plastic there.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 x 3" Magnaflow fart cannons arrived. Pretty.

Affordable rollcage bender arrive too!

Can't use it though 'cause the tubes are being used for the engine work.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY! Darn, this is so much work to get to some rods. Notice the brazed tube from the balance shaft delete days.

LR flap kit. What's better, HD rivets & epoxy or aluminum welding?

I took this plastic float from spare parts at work to replace the fragile oil level float that broke the last time I pulled the pan. No more (!) light!

Noahs944  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be a big task to incorporate door bars and (my understanding of) 2017 FIA approved A pillars... into a daily driver, where easy in/out is one of the main goals. I'm planning on bending 2 "U" shaped door bars (the update to the "X" door bars) and second A pillars. This will be a big challenge for me. But better than the alternative.

Noahs944  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spencer totally came through for me!!
I had no idea the 951 set up was this intricate.
MUCHO GRACIAS!!!
Ahead of sched brotha!
This is exactly what Wilson needs & deserves.

------

And since it's my lucky day... the Greddy EBC came in from JAPAN. That's a long ways a way mister.

Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAM
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/the-new-ford-gt-is-ready-to-race/#ford-gt-fia-world-endurance-championship-93

------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8rDS9M1zns
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I learned about 2.5 944 rings last night whilst tipsy on beer & fatigue... & this morning on the internet. The above link I posted this morning has pretty much all the information a person needs to know on Geotze rings. What came in your Porsche? What did the other Porsches have?
It also lists the material and shape of each rings, so you can tell if the rings have been replaced. Are the rings the correct orientation? I eventually figured out that the guy who sold me the 951 pistons put the secondary rings where the top rings should be.

As you can see, I did previously buy a complete set of rings for 100mm 2.5 pistons. But at the time I was looking to build a Kung Fu 16 valve 2.5 n/a engine. These new rings seem scrawny for the 951 application, and as Michael says... who knows how long they'd be good for. I do know this: they aren't going in W.I.L.S.O.N.

Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the trouble of including this information for anyone else who has a 944 S up to the turbo.
Notice there are engine build dates.

By using these charts I was able to check the build date & reference the materials and shape of the piston rings.
I learned that the 944 S & the 87 up 944 came with the same piston rings as the TURBO. I love the late 944.

I will be reusing and re-gapping (if required) the rings that came out of WIlson. I have complete confidence in the rings and they will go back into the same cylinders they came out of. Only on turbo pistons this time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: