Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Piston ring solution

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a239947  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Piston ring solution Reply with quote

Hi guys
Thought i'd let you know of an option my machinist came up with for a new piston rings after discovering my ring grooves were worn.

Rather then go the expensive option of re-grooving the pistons and running 924NA rings like many do. My machinist was able to get a set of rings from 2 different cars and put together one set.

The 2 compression rings are now both 2mm and come from a Nissan L28 at oversize .5mm, top ring is chrome.

Oil ring is still 3mm and from a car sold here in australia known as a Holden Camira. Also oversize .5mm. It was a GM product so may be availiable overseas as well.

Hope this give some people an alternative cost effective solution.
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the input, valuable knowledge for the community.

Cheers !
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camira came wth three different GM power plants. . .would be helpful to know which one.
a239947  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill chase that up next time i see the machinist. But im guessing whichever one has a 86mm bore and a 3mm oil ring.
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also went a different route with the rings on my recent 931 build.

I will have to get the exact model, but my machinist found a set of Peugot rings from one of their turbo cars that fit...I'll get the info up here. Total cost was around $90 for the set.

As a note, is was a second oversize option for that particular Peugot, but the specs matched exactly.

As a note, the car has been started and tuned...only to find I need to rebuild the turbo (seals leaking very badly). The rings I used had perfect compression and perfect leak down to give a bit of peace of mind on other options.

Cheers

Current:
1981 924 SCCA/ChampCar Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1987 924S ChampCar Endurance Car ("Der Weg")
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
a239947  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats awesome. I think my turbo needs new seals aswell. My bores and pressure check on my head came back fine so im thinking my smoke issue was from the turbo seals.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago when I worked for Ramsey Piston Ring we had one fellow in sales who was great at these oddball ring fitments although at the time they would probably be for something like a 1924 Waukasha water pump motor. Please do get the information as being one of those who had pistons regrooved, the cost quickly approaches getting new pistons with rings and pins from JE or Diamond.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
a239947  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i have the part numbers for the piston rings used for my 931 with worn compression ring grooves.

Compression rings:

Both 2mm, chrome top ring, from Nissan L28; 2C4394-020

Oil ring:

3mm same as stock. 3piece design similar to original from camira; PS1735-0.50

Hope this could help a few. Machinist has charged me $213 for these including freight.

Its an economical fix considering a set of rings to fit original would cost over $300 after freight and exchange rates are factored in for my part of the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: