Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Race shock/strut options - Bilstein front, QA1 rear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brockoli wrote:
Quote:
The main PITA is that these are 1/2" rod end mounted, not 12mm (as our stock shocks are). What we've done on our racecars (I'm actually running Bilsteins in the back, but same mounting) is to drill out the mounting spots to 1/2" and use 1/2" Grade 8 bolts. This requires a heavy-duty drill up top, as you're milling through a long bushing; it will eat any puny cordless drill.

You also have to make up spacers to locate the shocks centered in the mounting spot; the 1/2" rod ends are much narrower than the bushings on a stock shock. So what is the easiest is to get 1/2" ID pipe or tubing, and cut lengths as needed to fill the gap.

Alternately, if you have access to a machine shop and the time and inclination, you can have the shop machine spacers that will fill the gap and also allow you to use the original 12mm shock bolts.

Just to clarify, what spacer can be made to allow the 12mm bolts to still be used? If a sleeve was made to slide over the 12mm bolt to "take up the slack" from the 1/2" hole in the shocks wouldnt it have a very thin wall (0.375mm wall thickness)?

I am thinking about buying the rear coilovers but dont want to drill out the stock mounting holes for the rear shocks

You have to drill the holes in the frame and the trailing arm larger to use the larger 1/2" hardware and the spacer is to center the top and bottom of the shock in the mounts. Angled rod end washers would likely work and maintain most of the range of movement.

If you really do not want to drill the frame to 1/2" then, yes you'd have to use some sort of stepped bolt or thin spacer, unless you can find similar shocks with metric rod ends
friggin  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if I car run 944 camber plates on my 79 924?
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep.

Get the turret style unless you have shortened struts or you'll suffer from reduced strut travel.
friggin  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have any links for these that aren't $450+?? i feel like thats a bit pricy and i don't have that kind of money to shell out on a set of these. Thanks!
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't afford them, then use the stock ones. There's not that much rubber there, so the gain is pretty minimal.

There's usually enough camber adjustment in the stock suspension, a bit more if you can grind the adjustment slot a little longer.
Brockoli  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan - Can you take a picture of your QA1 rear coil overs? I am interested in how much clearance there is between the sping perch and the trailing arm or if you have the spring perch on the body side mount.

Also, could the poly bushing be pressed out and a new poly bushing be machined to fit the original 12mm bolt?

25% of a '87 944 Chumpcar http://straightpipe.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2454

'79 924 Sebring Edition(Sitting)
Brockoli  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up that the QA1 coilovers wont work on the steel 924 rear trailing arms without a lower spring hat spacer due to the lower shock mount deisgn.

Also, 2.5" ID springs will probably rub on the trailing arms. Its really close if it doesnt rub. Might have to use 2.25" ID springs. However, to do this the spring perches on the coilover would need to be machined since they are designed for the 2.5" ID springs.

Im in the process of installing these and there are a lot of issues to overcome. Hopefully I can get it to work and then post how to do it.

I spoke with the new owner of the car that Vaughan was referring to earlier in this thread. That car has the 944 aluminum trailing arms on it and he wasnt sure what it had with the previous owner who mounted the QA1 coilovers.

More to come soon!

Brockoli  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my DIY install of the QA1 rear coilovers. Still have some issues I can hopefully sort out but they are in...

http://924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=389831#389831

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: