Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Nose piece removal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason c  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
jason c wrote:
924 & early 944 noses are welded on- no screws other than the ones holding the fender to it.

Wrong, at least in the case of the 1985 (not 85.5) 944 I dismantled. The badge panel I removed from that car was screwed at the trailing edge and welded at the leading edge as I indicated above.

No sir.
The early & late frame structure is different on both the top & bottom, there are notches on the bottom for the studs & indentations on top for the speed clips for the screws for the nose to mount to. Without the indentations, there would be a gap between the nose & structure. Screws were not used without speed clips.

Porsche did switch over to new parts mid run but a hybrid early/late frame or nose would be needed to make that happen. That is highly unlikely because it would be basically a one-off in a mid production run. And as dumb as it sounds, probably would have required crash testing.

It is more likely that someone added screws to an early car for some reason.
A combination of screws & welds to hold the nose on was not factory done.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong again.

Removed from this car.

Are those spot welds I see on the cut-off lower leading edge? Why yes, I believe they are. Are those factory-stamped recesses for speed-nut-retained screws on the upper trailing edge? Why yes, I believe they are.
jason c  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
Wrong again.

Removed from this car.

Are those spot welds I see on the cut-off lower leading edge? Why yes, I believe they are. Are those factory-stamped recesses for speed-nut-retained screws on the upper trailing edge? Why yes, I believe they are.

Nope, that is the inner piece of the nose. The nose is made of two pieces that are spot welded together but they are NOT spot welded to the chassis. The inner piece of the nose is the mounting structure.
All post 85 n/a and turbo noses are made that way.

None of those spot welds need to be removed to remove the nose from the car.
Glemon  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good information, I think I have enough to go on. I even have an idea of the tool I will use, but since this seems to be a controversial topic I will keep my ideas to myself...
jason c  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glemon wrote:
Thanks for all the good information, I think I have enough to go on. I even have an idea of the tool I will use, but since this seems to be a controversial topic I will keep my ideas to myself...

Sorry dude, we all have strong opinions.
How you repair your car is up to you, I don't think anyone is going to take it personal if you don't do it their way.

Its your thread, say whatever you want.
Glemon  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just trying to lighten things up a bit, and maybe poke a little fun at people who get overly excited about tool choices.
Glemon  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done, ugly selfy holding piece below, on one of the other forums I am on they say if there isn't a picture it didn't happen.

There were lots of spot welds front and back, I didn't count, hardest part was the ends, where there was a little flap on the top I couldn't get to very well, ended up removing it with a Dremel cut off wheel.

Last edited by Glemon on Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
jason c  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not hard to believe. There some lying going on but I didn't believe it was you.
edredas  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, OP!

jason c wrote:

jason c wrote:
The early & late frame structure is different on both the top & bottom...a hybrid early/late frame or nose would be needed to make that happen.

Don't call people liars when you are clearly not even aware that this "hybrid" does exist. In this same thread another guy even said that his '85 924 has screws; meaning he has the early frame with a version of the late nose panel. Yes, some early '85 944's got these too. Please stop trashing every thread you're in!

'87 924S -Red, 300hp 951 swap
'87 924S -Red, Project Car
'88 924S -Red, Daily Driver
jason c  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edredas wrote:
Nice work, OP!

jason c wrote:

jason c wrote:
The early & late frame structure is different on both the top & bottom...a hybrid early/late frame or nose would be needed to make that happen.

Don't call people liars when you are clearly not even aware that this "hybrid" does exist. In this same thread another guy even said that his '85 924 has screws; meaning he has the early frame with a version of the late nose panel. Yes, some early '85 944's got these too. Please stop trashing every thread you're in!

There nothing different about that 924S under nose structure than the other 16668 cars made.
If you wanted to get in on April fools you should have done it 2 days ago.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason c wrote:
There nothing different about that 924S under nose structure than the other 16668 cars made.

Wrong, yet again. Two photos to document the hybrid version.

Jason, not sure what your issue is. Maybe you really are an insufferable know-it-all as someone else recently suggested. Regardless, I don't appreciate the insinuation that I am a liar. I know what I cut off of that 1985 car, and I have the piece and the photo to prove it. You should apologize, but I don't expect you will.

Glemon, sorry for the thread trash.

Looks like you were successful in the removal. The main reason I pointed out my experience is that I, like others, assumed that the later cars were all screwed on and found out the hard way that it's not the case, and ended up having to go get a spot weld removal tool to complete the job. The point being, if you want a nose from anything earlier than a 1987 car (924S or 944), it would be a good idea to have a drill and spot weld removal bit handy. Hey, if you don't need it and a screwdriver will suffice, great.
jason c  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
jason c wrote:

Wrong, yet again. Two photos to document the hybrid version.

Jason, not sure what your issue is. Maybe you really are an insufferable know-it-all as someone else recently suggested. Regardless, I don't appreciate the insinuation that I am a liar. I know what I cut off of that 1985 car, and I have the piece and the photo to prove it. You should apologize, but I don't expect you will.

Glemon, sorry for the thread trash.

Looks like you were successful in the removal. The main reason I pointed out my experience is that I, like others, assumed that the later cars were all screwed on and found out the hard way that it's not the case, and ended up having to go get a spot weld removal tool to complete the job. The point being, if you want a nose from anything earlier than a 1987 car (924S or 944), it would be a good idea to have a drill and spot weld removal bit handy. Hey, if you don't need it and a screwdriver will suffice, great.

You can't be serious.
Your nose is obviously off an '85.5, the only difference between it and one ordered straight from Porsche is the slide hammer holes & body filler in yours.
You say its an '85, not '85.5 in this thread but post a link to pics clearly marked 85.5.
You & I both know you didn't cut that nose off the 85.5. I know what you cut off too.... the front frame structure & I bet I also know where it went.
Both pics are of bone stock parts.

I enjoyed the game for a little while but someday some noob is going to come along & believe this garbage.

If anyone should be apologizing its you, to the unknowing people who will be adversely affected by the litter you've spread around here. I can only hope you plan to erase this thread, there's enough misinformation on the internet, it doesn't need to be here.
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slide hammer???? Body filler???? Dafuq? There was no body filler on that car, it was an 85 944 with early dash, NOT an 85.5.

I used a cutoff wheel on an air-driven 90° cutoff tool, and removed this panel from the 1985 944 posted earlier in this thread. I didn't drill out the spot welds as you can clearly see.

You are delusional, and an @$$4@7 to boot for calling me an intentional liar.
Glemon  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Glemon, sorry for the thread trash."

No worries, I got the information I wanted and got the job done.
jason c  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
.......it was an 85 944......NOT an 85.5.

I used a cutoff wheel on an air-driven 90° cutoff tool, and removed this panel from the 1985 944 posted earlier in this thread. I didn't drill out the spot welds as you can clearly see.

You are delusional, and an @$$4@7 to boot for calling me an intentional liar.

I actually didn't call you a liar. I insinuated there were some lies & you stepped up to the plate.
If you are serious about this nonsense, you are either a bold faced liar or a highly confused man. Either way you are wrong.
That nose is off a late 944, be it that car or another. The spot welds you keep referring to hold the inner structure of the nose to the nose. All late 944 variants noses are made in the same fashion. The spotwelds need not be removed or the nose need to be cut to remove it.
All 944 fenders have an inner structure that is spot welded on which in turn is bolted to the door post. The fenders & later noses are of similar design.

In your own words you refer to that car as an '85.5

ideola wrote:
Removed from [url=http://www.924board.org/view topic.php?p=373625#373625]this car[/url]..

Follow the link called.....
ideola wrote:
SNOW BUNNY[/url]..

Big bold text on the picasa pics.....
ideola wrote:
1985.5 944 parts donor, back home, safe & sound.

And in another link....
ideola wrote:
And, this weekend, only the coldest weekend of the winter, Larry and I went to fetch a 1985.5 944 out in Newaygo MI. The car was probably 20-30 yards off the road. There was a 3 foot furrow from the plow that we had to dig through, and about 18-24 inches of snow on the rest of the ground.

"Remember, its not a lie if you believe it" -George Costanza
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: