Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Timing belt/ Timing marks question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhillgard  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Timing belt/ Timing marks question Reply with quote

1980 924 Turbo north American car

So I started to replace the timing belt on my car today (which has been running and driving fine) and I notice the previous owner or person that did the job had left the car out of time (I think anyways).

I'm going to try to attach a couple pictures to show what I mean, but it's my first time attaching pictures to this forum so I hope it works!

So when I align the timing mark on the Cam (Dot on cam sprocket highlighted in yellow) I see the following

From the top:
[img][/img]

From the Crank: (Yellow on pulley Highlights where the timing mark on the oil pump is pointing to notice the notch is not inline)
[img][/img]

And when I align the groove on the crank pulley with the pointer on the oil pump I see

From the Crank: (notch in the pulley not highlighted, highlighted dot from above situation)
[img][/img]

From the Cam: (Dot in the cam pulley still highlighted in yellow but is one tooth out)
[img][/img]

So my question is

I would consider myself above average with a mechanical aptitude and this is not my first time setting the timing on an engine (first with a 4 cyl though and first time with a belt not a chain). I'm not sure which way these engines spin so I'm wondering was someone trying to advance the timing slightly? Or did the person who did this job last simply get it wrong.

Thanks in advance for your input!
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They simply got it wrong, put it correctly and spin it by hand with the plugs out to ensure the belt is timed correctly.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulley mark is problematic. Use the flywheel mark.
dhillgard  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a chance to get back in to the garage today and finish the job. Set the marks as they should be and the car runs great.

Didn't notice a flywheel mark, however I didn't drop the starter just looked in through a hole in the bell housing right in front of the clutch cylinder
jason c  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhillgard wrote:
Didn't notice a flywheel mark, however I didn't drop the starter just looked in through a hole in the bell housing right in front of the clutch cylinder

That's why I recommend setting it on tdc mechanically, it doesnt matter if the marks are wrong, missing or can't be found- a noob can't get it wrong.

The flywheel mark can be found through the hole on the top of the belhousing.
Power Tryp  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I demand pictures of this car! Unlike out in Vancouver there are/were only four 931's known to me in Alberta and you've just raised the total to five.

So please, lets see it and hopefully sometime this summer we can get a small group together in central Alberta.

Green tartan interior, you don't see that on a Civic.
dhillgard  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha hi Power Tryp,

This would be the best picture I have of the car as a whole currently. Was taken last spring after I got both the cars out of winter storage.

White is a 1978 924 and the green with brown roof is the 1980 924 turbo.

The car was in one of those canvas tent sheds, and is so dusty since the neighbour to the north was a concrete plant!

I found this car on kijiji nearly 2 years ago in Camrose AB, and trailered it home soon after! The car was complete, and I do have the front pieces that aren't pictured. But the previous owner was the kind of guy that took a hole saw to his floor to try and replace the shift linkage bushings, and he let the car sit outside for a year anyways with no sunroof seals..

Although I did progress on the white one over last summer, the turbo sat almost untouched since I had other projects and work taking a lot of my time. Recently, I've put a heater in my garage so I've started to work on this car, and it is driving around again, but there is still a ways to go.
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell !? There are only four 931's in Vancouver ! My 3 and 1 with another board member. . . .

Leigh
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Power Tryp  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenodog wrote:
What the hell !? There are only four 931's in Vancouver ! My 3 and 1 with another board member. . . .
Leigh

Although that's soon to be two though, not that I'm complaining.

Thanks for the picture dhillgard, I love that petrol blue colour. It'll look awesome cleaned up and in the sun. Also, I see it's a 4 lug set up. Leigh has a couple 5 lug conversions available.

Green tartan interior, you don't see that on a Civic.
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do. And it's yours for cheap...

Leigh
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: