Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Project: JjyKs' 924na goes EFI turbo
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Project: JjyKs' 924na goes EFI turbo Reply with quote

Posted a while back to the general forum about my project and ordered most of the stuff I'm going to need.

I got the car 5 months ago and drove whole summer with it without problems expect the faulty starter which didn't want to work when the engine was hot.

After finally fixing the starter problem, the car worked for 200km and it started to sound funny and pushed all coolant out. The headgasket blew and the head also needs some work (seems like a detonation).

Removing the head with the engine in the car was pretty straightforward. I managed to break down my exhaust manifold (seems like it was cracked already since there are carbon where it broke), but ordered a new one from ebay. Sorry for very bad picture. The head/pistons are covered in oil to prevent them from rusting during winter

That's when i tought that if i'm going to take the head out anyways, i can convert to EFI and install turbo. Checking the local Megasquirt forum i spotted some guy selling complete MS2.2 pcb3.0 ecu kit for 500€ including

- 10' MegaSquirt Wiring Harness (MS1 / MS2 / MS3 Ready)
- JimStim v1.5 MegaSquirt Stimulator w/ Wheel Simulator
- MegaSquirt Tuning Cable (DB9 Straight Thru)
- 4 Bosch 370cc injectors
- Garrett GT17 (yea i know, it sucks but it was cheap and it has new bearings and seals so should do it until i get something better )

So, to start off with the EFI conversion, i had to find some way to fit the new injectors to the head, and i didn't want to use external bungs, since these injectors do not have any kind of tip, so it would have to spray through a long hole before reaching the intake. The holes needed for these injector are something like 13.5mm, and i only had 13mm drill, so i drilled the 13mm hole, and carefully enlargened it with this kind of head (don't know how it's called in english). The fuel rail is Ford Zetec one, and even tho everyone told that it should be direct fit, the outermost injectors are a little skewed. Shouldn't be a problem though, and i can always just fill the holes and move them a little if it seems like a problem.

Also painted my intake manifold and head cover.

Here are some parts i ordered from ebay. Still missing intercooler, some sensors etc. The head is gonna get worked during winter, but installing everything to the car will take at least 5-6 months, since I'm going to tow it to my grandmas house for the winter, and I can't work on it there..
- Weldable turbo inlet flange
- Weldable turbo outlet flange
- Connectors for injectors
- Idle air control valve for my throttle body
- Oil drain flange
- Exhaust manifold
- Full gasket set to the head and turbo flanges
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO (I may be biased) this is about the best way to stick an intercooler in a 931 without hacking it all up and keep your pop up lights and washer bottle etc.

http://924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=41250&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

You can use your OEM intake and all that stuff too..

I don't know what your plans are but If I was going to install an IC in a 931 I would do it again much the same way..
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I have this aftermarket 944 style bumper with a hole at the bottom, and i was thinking about cutting the original bumber under it and mounting the ic there. The turbo is getting mounted on the left side of the engine with a stock manifold and a crossover pipe just like some guy did here so the pipes should be pretty straight from the turbo to the ic.

Edit:

Here's a picture i just took. I Gonna cut that blue part off and mount the intercooler behind the aftermarket bumper on that green part. There's a lot of free space. So basically gonna install it to the same place as you, just on the outside of the stock bumper.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't thai block the airflow to the rad?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice wrench..
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Wouldn't thai block the airflow to the rad?

We'll see, what i've understood the ic before rad is pretty common setup on other cars. Also here in Finland the maximum temperature during summer is something like 25-30c (77-86f), most of the time it's not even that. If it looks like a problem i have to take a look at seperating them a bit and adding some kind of vent to the bottom of the car to push some cold air straight to the rad and maybe bigger fans.

Fasteddie313 wrote:
Nice wrench..

Ah, that's where it went, was removing the exhaust manifold in the dark and dropped it, forgot about it next day..
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i made a brackets for the fuel rail. I used the pre-existing fuel tube mounting holes and I'm going to thread the endings of the fuel rail.

Here's a before/after picture.

And here's a couple pictures without rocker cover and manifold.

And with the rocker cover on. The head is getting similar red paint after it gets machined/cleaned and i'm going to use painted hexagon bolts on every part as well.

JjyKs  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update.

Welded a pipe to my turbo exhaust inlet flange. Gonna have to wait to the spring before actually making the crossover pipe from the exhaust manifold to the turbo..

Painted the throttlebody

Made a wiring harness for the injectors. They plug into 8 pin waterproof connector.
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing big, tested my new solvent washing pool, no idea what's it's actually called, but basically a big box with some liquid and air hoses to get the liquid moving. In this case it's filled with oil remover.

Washed my turbo compressor housing and painted it with heat resistant red.

I also got my megasquirt speaking with the pc and hooked couple sensors to it. Seems to be working.

Damn i would really start fitting all of this to the car but it will take at least 4-5 months before i will be able to do that...

Last edited by JjyKs on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks clean
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update again. Used whole day working with exhaust. The old exhaust with the cracked header was still on the car, and the car is in the place where I can't jack it up enough to actually get under it. Header bolts were so rusty that I couldn't remove it from the actual exhaust either, so I had to buy a reciprocating saw and cut the exhaust from the top side to get it out of the car.

Here's the whole exhaust system. You can see where i had to cut it.

Here's the cracked manifold

Here's my new manifold. It's from the right hand drive car, this was only one on the Ebay when I was looking for them.

Also got my lambda fitted to the downpipe (excuse my shitty weldings, at least it's not leaking. I don't have gas welding machine, and have to use flux core)
procyon  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting picture of the broken exhaust manifold. Mine was broken on the same two cylinders on the bottom as well. Is there some design issue that needs to be addressed to prevent this happening again?
2021 Maxda CX-30
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the head to the machine shop. The price estimation was a lot better than expected (max 400€ including full valve work, fill welding the head from the damaged parts and everything else.) Haven't got it back yet but the guy seemed pretty professional. (Kansiset if some other finn happens to read this topic.)

Driving a W124 Mercedes right now is also pretty boring and I already promised it as a first car to my little brother in 11 months when he turns 18, so i've been looking for a cheap replacement winter car. Don't want to use this 924 in the winter since it's just been painted. Spotted this matte black late 88 944 for very cheap. If everything goes as planned and no one buys it before 20th of this month when i get my salary, i'll go and buy if it seems ok as a secondary car. Even if it breaks down or fails the next MOT, i can upgrade all brake, suspension and transmission parts on my 924 with the parts from this one, right?

morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, got my head back! The valve guides were super worn. Fixed with a bronze guides.

It's a bit greasy here because of the oil used when installing the valves.

Also, my new floor mats arrived, not bad for 70 euros

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: