Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

my turbo saga..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: my turbo saga.. Reply with quote

most shops I talked to said things would be unuseable and had to find new parts (witch is all but impossible$$$)

other shops I talked to said that there as very little that could happen to these kkk turbos that they couldn't fix, they were talking along the lines of honing out the bearing housing ring lands and bearing journals, and cutting off and refitting turbine pistons if the rings ate it up.. also $$$$

stil searching for parts I ended up getting all my parts back from he turbo shop and then I got bored.. witch is dangerous...

I took my best looking bearing housing, best turbine shaft and its matching compressor wheel, and scavenged al the best looking parts of the 2 turbos I had at the time...

I found that the rings on the compressor side are the same as the turbine rings but take much less of a beating...

the turbo im running right now is s2 turbine wheel/shaft, s2 turbine housing, s1 bearing housing, s2 complete compressor, with the s1's compressor side piston rings on the turbine side of the installed turbo..

reused all of my old crush washers and seals everything... (I was able to keep them al in order and didn't loose any).. at first it leaked a bit of oil from the oil feed line but a couple of heat cycles set those copper washers and it stopped leaking now so I have no external oil leaks..

at first a couple times I ran the car it would burn off a little internal oil when it came up to temp, like 1.5 minutes of light smoke just as the exhaust gets hot, I believed this to be the turbine piston rings leaking a bit..

but once again, after a few hat cycles/running it a few times, it seems the turbine rings have seated themselves and I have experienced no more smoke at all in the last 15 times ive ran it...

its made atleast 5 solid 3rd gear pulls to redline by now and have experienced no smoke, vibrations I canblame on the turbo, no unexpected turbo noise, none of that..

im somewhat reluctantly confident that it may last for a bit of time until I can build a balls out turbo...

now I have a s1, and s2, and an audi watercooled turbo with the same turbine and compressor as the s1.. I think its going to be audi CHRA in S2 turbine housing and S1 compressor housing to keep that blow off valve...

that orig integrated BOV is quite badass actually compared to what I can afford as far as a replacement..

that is if I can get the oil lines to work with the audi turbo bearing housing... it seems things are very similar as far as where the lines go but a slightly different shape..

then again maybe ill pick up a k26/6 for the bearing housing so its easy and have yet another compressor option..

and I think ive came up with another method of turbocharger removal that will make it a tun easier!!!

I think I can get in there and....

undo the lines

3 manifold bolts

charge pipe and boot to dizzy + bov vaccume line

2 j pipe to manifold bolts

wastegate signal line and wastegate bracket

then all exhaust hangers

and drop the entire exhaust pipe from the tip all the way up with the wastegate attached, j pipe attatched, and turbo attatched all in one shot...

I think itll work and save a hell of a lot of trouble trying to go out through the front..

anyone ever do it that way? think it would work/ be easier?
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from other issues I can think of, how did you rebalance the wheels and shaft? Spinning at 60,000 rpm+ I'd be planning on your next turbo rebuild sooner than later.
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and it's 'which'.
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally started writing that as a reply to a thread asking about turbo stuff but it got too long and became its own thread..

Carrera RSR wrote:
Apart from other issues I can think of, how did you rebalance the wheels and shaft? Spinning at 60,000 rpm+ I'd be planning on your next turbo rebuild sooner than later.

oh I am, that's why I picked up the great audi turbo full of good parts..

as far as balancing it has the same turbine wheel/shaft and compressor from eachother so I aligned what I believed to be the marks from the turbo shop marking them for alignment..
if you line the compressor to the shaft and the nut on just right also so its back to where it was previously balanced..

you can totally tear a turbo all the way down, replace the bearings/clips/rings and as long as your turbine wheel/shaft and compressor wheel are ready to go for another spin all you have to do is put them right back in the same positions they came from..

the turbo shop used a paint pen, I used a small very sharp punchto divit the crack between pieces..

oh and forget heating the compressor wheel to get it off, or pulling on it much at all really, the shaft has a nice center on the end of it and the only thing holding the whole thing in there is that nut..

so just take the nut off and get/make an appropriate punch and drive the shaft out through the backside of the compressor wheel and then it comes all the way out through the bearing housing all in one shot

I don't really expect it to last all that long, I just wanted to buy some time until I can afford the shop costs.. but it works real nice right now..

and the thought of dropping close to a grand into a car I payed $400 for and have never driven didn't sound to good...

to be honest I think the trans is going to be my priority before the new turbo..

if its gona cost $1500 + or whatever to fix my tranny, then there is no point in another turbo before that..

I believe my g31 will live inside this winter, prolly on an end table/coffee table in the mancave like room...
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and I have a lathe now...

and I have found an ingenious way of suspending the turbine wheel/shaft in free air with magnets so you can balance it very precisely..

a neodymium in both the chuck and tail stock.. and then you can extend your tailstock to get that perfect amount of space, then the whole thing will just hang there heavy side down in free air, no friction other than air..

sweet shit..
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grenadiers wrote:
...and it's 'which'.

honestly I don't really know witch one is which... ??
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not beholden to the G31, find an early 944 in the junkyard and grab the torque tube, shift rod, and Audi transmission. I did this for '80 CGT car, and have not looked back. Or, the same from an '81-'82 turbo car, shorter 5th than the 944 version.
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my g31... I think... I feel it makes my car special...

and its lsd.. so id like to keep it...

if I find it to be past the point of being fixable then ill examine my options, but id prolly be trying to find another g31 for parts rather than an audi box..

with the lsd the way it is itll do doughnuts on a dime with no hesitation.. I like that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: