Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Electric power Steering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Electric power Steering Reply with quote

Just to compile some information,
there are a few links from the UK Steve's installs

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=338240&sid=d00e5e061b34b66d275ac081dd4041d1
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=360246&sid=5ade1b1050e0e16987eea59c00944ab9

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=28902&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

and my install..

So the unit is the same Corsa C EPAS unit, I placed this below the stock mount, which required modding the 931 power assist clutch spring (making a thinner unit and moving the actuating pin to the trans tunnel side) ...
below shots are of the internal structure the column end up with...
basically the epas unit has two splines upper and lower. the upper also has an intermediate joiner that uses a friction fit. I took this joiner to an engineering shop along with my now cut upper steering shaft to be bored out to 22mm and lathed respectively for a friction fit. This was then installed and drilled/bolted through.
As you can see the EPAS has an outer shaft sleeve, this is a perfect friction fit for the 924 outer sleeve and so can be trimmed respectively to suit length. I reversed the column support to the steering wheel side of to have the EPAS as close to the column mount as possible. I welded in a 3mm reinforcement plate to the side of the column support and also made a mounting plate that bolts up to the EPAS mounts M12 bolts and the column support using the stock M6's and two M8's. The unit is clocked to clear the heater unit.

The lower spline was very similarly treated, the stock shaft was cut and bored out for a friction fit over the EPAS splines, drilled and bolted with a countersunk head and then the stock bearing sleeve is slipped over the top. Then sleeve is also trapped between the double nuts on the epas and the firewall.
Stu

Last edited by leadfoot on Tue May 26, 2015 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeorgeV  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you got it in. Nice write up. Is the car running yet? Close?
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I found if you stare hard and scratch your head often enough you'll finally end up with solution...

Just finished rewelding in the torque tube flange at the engine side, it needed to get moved back 12mm, there must be a difference in either the length of the tt compared to 944's or the US LS1's have a different crank bearing recess, at any rate it was not engaging enough... need to fiddle with the engine mount brackets as a result
finished hydroboost setup, just installed the last of the brake lines for front rear conversion, need to get my 4 pots for the front rebuilt now and run the cooler lines, going to relocate horn most likely to get oil coolers in the right spot.

ATM finishing rewiring the factory and engine loom, converted to blade style and have new fuse panels made

then onto fuel lines,
rip out old 8mm hard line as the filter/reg is going in the back where the accumulator is,I have a number of weld on steel an fittings I'm making adapters for the 10mm lines and will make up AN lines for joins,

so yeah, a little way to go,
stu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: