Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Homebrew Alternator Regulator.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicalannette  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Homebrew Alternator Regulator. Reply with quote

Hi, i had a small problem with an alternator.

It was fitted to a small diesel, where the battery could be disconnected.

If you disconnect the battery whilst running it would blow the regulator and some small components inside the alternator.

The regulator is out of date and a new one can only be found as "new"old stock.

As replacements were expensive (only from the US and where shipping was tripple the price of the part) and this was quite likely to happen again, I had to make up a circuit, which should work for any alternator where the field is controlling the alternator output.

It is handy because you can manually "fast" charge your battery by changing the alternator output voltage in stages of approx 0.5v if the battery has a bit of charge in allready.( by doing this yiou can force 5 amps into the battery by controlling the voltage up or down, i know you can go all automated "smart" fast charge with temp sense etc, but this is so simple, its handy where out of date parts means you alternator is obsolite and you want to charge the batrtery a bit quicker.)

If your interested i can do a post of what i have done and circuit diagram.

As i say it should be generic for any field controlled alternator, will replace the one thats fitted to the 924 alternator, and should be good upto quite large vehicle/marine alternators (150 amp+).

Its certainly usefull if you flatten your battery fairly often or run twin batteries (for camping etc) or have an old alternator you cant get a regulator for.

(in my case, i put the parts i think that will blow if you disconnect the battery whist the engine is running on a set of jackplugs, for quick and easy fix on the go.)

let me kmow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: