Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Odd shift linkage issue after replacing bushings (snail)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Odd shift linkage issue after replacing bushings (snail) Reply with quote

The other day I replaced the 4 bushings on my shifter on my '79. Stefan mentioned a ballcup type of joint, but looking in all the diagrams for this type of shifter, it looks far more like my 911 with a coupler setup and then another joint for the second rod.

Basically... what I did was as follows:

- Disconnected shifter
- Upon disconnecting shifter, the right linkage twisted from the torsion spring (aimed sort of up)
- I used the opportunity to replace all 4 bushings
- I inspected the spring and slid it forward a bit so I could see why it rattles all the time, then moved it back
- I put the shifter back together

The right linkage piece seems "sort of" loose with a tiny bit of play. It doesn't flop around, but has some play. When I shift now, however, the spring makes a "pop" noise and I can see it kind of skipping over part of the shifter as I move it now.

So my question is:

- Did something at the linkage towards the back of the shifter come loose when I disconnected the shifter? Is that even possible? It seems unlikely.
- Did I f*** something up with the spring? (seems more likely)
- Is there something else I'm missing?

Essentially, I can shift into gears just fine, but the throw kind of feels longer and not as natural which I am uncertain if that's due to the spring or linkage. I would assume if something with the linkage came loose I wouldn't be going into gear at all for the torsion rod.
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
larchie  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche issued a guide bushing to keep the shifter from rattling on the '79 many, many years ago. I don't know if this would be of any help, but here's a diagram of the layout of the '79 5-speed shifter lever assembly:

If the shift lever was vibrating, guide bushing Part No. 477711237A was recommended by Porsche to be installed beginning with VIN No. 9249206780.

I did install about 20 years ago and the shift is still tight. Presumably the same part is still available.

Edit 18Mar2014: fixed broken links for images

Last edited by larchie on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larchie.

I checked the diagram that stephan sent me, and it does sound like I popped it out of the ballcup as he had suspected. This morning I had issues with the car going into gear in 2nd. And it feels more floppy, so I will have to fix it.

What's the easiest way to get to the ballcup in the back near the bellhousing in the back? Just drop the torque tube? Transmission? It doesn't seem like someone could get their hands up their with it in the car unfortunately.
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite a challenge to get to for sure. Put a jack under the trans, and then remove the two big bolts that secure the trans mounts to the trans. Then, very carefully and slowly lower the trans down about. You should be able to get just enough clearance where you can get a pry bar or breaker bar up into the cavity above the torque tube to snap the ball cup socket back in place.

Quite likely, the plastic bushing in the ball socket is starting to disintegrate and fail, so this would be a good time to replace it with a new one. However, it may be very difficult to do with the trans in situ. A fresh ball socket will be quite stubborn to snap onto the ball. A good bit of lubrication will help. But once they start popping off on their own, it's only a matter of time before it becomes a regular occurence, so replacement is highly recommend to avoid getting stranded.

As for the spring situation you describe, I'm having trouble following what's going on. Can you snap some pix or make a short video?
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Dan and Stefan were right on the money with the issue. SO here are the steps I took to fix this.

1. Jack up the car on both sides (I supported mine with a jack on each side of the torsion bar)
2. Get a jack under the transmission (might need a big board since the gap will now be large). Jack it up till it is barely moving the transmission.
3. Remove both bolts holding the mounts in. Mine came out like a piece of cake.
4. Slowly lower it, it should end up resting ON the torsion bar (the torque tube, that is).
5. Ensuring that the transmission is supported, get a really small crowbar (needs to be thin) and become a contortionist so you can somehow fit under the car and look at the passenger side while not hitting the jack.
6. Look for the support bar for the linkage. Mine was flopping off to the right side and I could easily see it. If you can, use your crowbar to gently plop it over. Mine auto-centered itself once I knocked it loose.
7. Once you can feel that it is no longer moving left to right, use your crowbar to pull it DOWN onto the ball. I found this was by far the easiest by taking the shift boot off the shifter and then seeing if it would wiggle back and forth. Mine stopped, so I pulled down with my crowbar and got a very satisfying "sssssthu" feeling, almost like it was plastic on plastic sucking over a joint. No loud pop, just slid on and I felt it connect.
8. Verify by trying to shift into a few gears, your throws should stop feeling like a 911 and more like a 924
9. Jack the transmission back up, install both bolts. Take jacks out from under car and go drive.
10. Enjoy a nice cigar. I'm enjoying a tasty La Gloria Cubana Serie R #7 Maduro to celebrate having fixed it. (Tastes may vary)
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Congrats on it being a relatively simple thing to fix.
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat22turbo wrote:
Nice. Congrats on it being a relatively simple thing to fix.

Well, there was a few moments I thought, "There is no way I'm going to fit this crowbar in there." but it turns out the bar for the linkage was wedged in there, so once I bumped it, I could fit the crowbar in there. My guess is it must have wedged in there from shifting over and over.
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
larchie  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorsePerVita wrote:
What's the easiest way to get to the ballcup in the back near the bellhousing in the back?

I've been trying for quite a while to recall how I did this without lowering the transmission. What I think I remember doing would not have worked for CorsePerVita because his bar was apparently wedged next to the bushing.

CorsePerVita wrote:
... it turns out the bar for the linkage was wedged in ...

I believe I used a crowfoot socket with a long extension placed on the shift-link support bar and by pulling the shift lever and pushing the crowfoot extension, the support snapped into place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: