Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

HELP! Starting point for A/F idle mixture settings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ditch68  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: HELP! Starting point for A/F idle mixture settings Reply with quote

Please Help! My foolishness has gotten me very stuck.

Here is my situation: I have tried everything I can (so far that I have found) to get my car through AZ Emissions.

Background: I got the car barely running, and it has the typical hot start issue, and in fact has NO accumulator. I have a new one, but the PO removed the fittings to it, so I have to source those. Not sure if this can affect running fuel pressure and therefore idle mixture somehow?

I got the car running very well (I thought) but has failed emissions repeatedly.

So far I have in the last month:
-Replaced cap and rotor
-Changed and gapped plugs
-Cleaned and tested injectors (good, cone shaped strong pattern from each)
-Checked WUR, repaired cut wire to it
fiddled (hopelessly) with the idle speed and mixture settings on the throttle body and fuel distributor.
-Checked the timing
-Brand new Catalytic converter
-CHECKED FOR VACUUM LEAKS over and over.

It is running very rich, and stumbles like a miss at idle. I tried to start at "the beginning" with both settings, and have both horribly and hopelessly whacked out.

SO. How does one start from some "known point" with the idle mixture screw moving the air paddle in the fuel distributor, and the idle setting on the front of the throttle body?

When I have made adjustments previously to where the car ran it's best, it is far too rich according to the emissions station.

I'm so frustrated. I need to get this K-Jetronic thing under control.

I can barely get it to start now.

*sigh*

Past: 1986 951, 1988 924S, 1965 912 with '69 911T engine.
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W/O an AFR gauge, you're going to be making several trips to the emissions facility. Many things to check, from fuel pressure (control and system), stuck/open injectors, injector spray pattern/volume, CSV function, fuel pressure thingy on the side of the fuel distributor. All stuff to check besides turning the AFR screw.
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
larchie  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Background: I got the car barely running, and it has the typical hot start issue, and in fact has NO accumulator. ... Not sure if this [lack of accumulator] can affect running fuel pressure and therefore idle mixture somehow?

The Bosch Technical Instruction manual for K-Jetronic states ...
Quote:
After the engine has been switched off, the ful accumulator maintains the pressure in the fuel system in order to facilitate re-starting, particularly when the engine is hot.

So the lack of the accumulator would definitely be part of your re-start problem. Once the accumulator interior volume is filled with fuel after starting, the accumulator itself would have no effect on idle mixture, so I don't think the lack of an accumulator would affect emissions.

Have you checked through the emission control and exhaust system for your model from the Hanes manual starting at halfway down this page.? Different systems were sold in different segments of the market (i.e., US, California, European, etc).

If you can get access to a CO tester there's a procedure there on that online linked page to do an idle adjustment.
ditch68  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, but...

Yes, I know the accumulator is the cause of the hot start problem, that's it's whole purpose in life. I've been driving the car without it for a while and have a jumper switch for the fuel pump relay to overcome that issue.

That wasn't what I was asking. I was wondering what, if any, effect the accumulator may have on fuel pressure at idle.

I have the Haynes manual and yes, do have all the correct equipment for a US model. I do NOT have access to a CO or other tester, hence my many trips to emissions!

But I messed with it since my post and by going slowly about an 1/8 turn at a time got it running better than ever after testing fuel pressure and the fittings on the fuel distributor and wouldn't you know, I broke one of the metric M8 1.0 x M10 1.25 ferrule fittings - the one that goes to the top line on the fuel distributor.

Anyone have a spare used one? I doubt I will find one locally.

Jeff

larchie  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, I know the accumulator is the cause of the hot start problem ... that wasn't what I was asking. I was wondering what, if any, effect the accumulator may have on fuel pressure at idle.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The reason the function of the accumulator was mentioned was to show that its function is not related to the fuel pressure at idle once the interior diaphragm of the accumulator is expanded with fuel soon after starting-- which answers the question asked in both posts.

The reason the checklist of the Hanes manual was linked was not see if you had the correct equipment but to suggest that you use the description as a list in order to check parts and connections of the EEC system -- even if you don't have test equipment -- including such things as checking vacuum lines, EGR valve, and mileage limits to various parts such as oxygen sensor, catalytic converter, etc. depending on, of course, whether emission controls have been removed to increase performance. Some of these parts and lines which might be clogged can be removed and cleaned. (This was just a reminder, as I'm sure you know, passing emission tests involves more than tweaking the optimum fuel mixture and idle rpms.) When I went through this I can't begin to tell all the crud I found.
ditch68  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, larchie! I hope I didn't seem unappreciative for the info, far from it. This car appears to me to be one which WAS well maintained by a previous owner, then sold to one before me who let it sit and didn't do squat to it, so, like you said, lots of "crud" to get through, and some "hammer mechanic" work to undo.

The links you posted will be a great help. Once I get that fitting I broke, I think I may be close.

Thanks again, both of you!

Jeff

Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you replaced the fuel filter?

Did you unhook the fuel return line from the fuel Dizzy to the hard return line and do the volume of fuel per 30 seconds check?

+1 on if you start fiddling with it without a wide band sensor you will be chasing it forever and will not be able to get it. Unfortunately you need a CO2 tester or spend the bones on a wide band and always be able to dial it in wherever you are.

Accumulator will not have any effect on idle pressure, the pressure is constant throughout the duration of the fuel cycle...idle to WOT. The dropping of the plunger by the air plenum is what controls the fuel air mixture.

I know the pain you are having, I could not get my '81 system to work...stupid lambda stuff, so I had to back date to a '79 fuel dizzy and set up...car works great now, but took me 3 months to figure it all out.

Hope everything works out for you...sent you a reply about your fitting.

Cheers,
Ian

Current:
1981 924 SCCA/ChampCar Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1987 924S ChampCar Endurance Car ("Der Weg")
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
emoore924  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without tools, the only way I know to get the dizzy started in the right direction is to remove one of the fuel lines that goes to an injector, crank the mixture screw all the way lean, run the fuel pump, and s-l-o-w-l-y adjust the mix screw in the dizzy to rich until fuel **just* starts to come out of the open hole in the dizzy. Replace the fuel line and try to start. This should get you in the ball park.

Shouldn't have to tell you to do this outside and have a fire extinguisher handy, pin out. You will spill a little bit of fuel.
ditch68  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, back to the drawing board. Failed again. Way too rich, still. I thought I really was closer. I put in a brand new catalytic converter, and that helped, but clearly I am missing something, or am just inept at setting this mixture (without a sniffer or something).

I have the head off my 951 and am doing a timing belt change and a bunch of other work, so car #2 is down. I may have to cave in and take it to a shop. I need to have it on the road ASAP. I get the feeling I can fiddle with this mixture forever and not get anywhere soon (like many of you have stated).

What sucks is it really seems to be running well, and is of course driveable, but I can't register it without passing the stupid emissions test. Now, if I lived in the suburb of Tucson (where I work, incidentally) I would not have to even be tested.

GRRRR. Sorry, rant over. I am just so frustrated. I love driving the car, but it is driving me...nuts.

Jeff

PS - thanks again Ian for the fuel fitting!!

larchie  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I get the feeling I can fiddle with this mixture forever and not get anywhere ...

This might be worth trying for the mixture:
    (1) Start the engine and run to normal operating tempature and let the engine idle.
    (2) move the adjusting key in either direction to find the fastest RPM.
    (3) from that point turn the key between 25 and 45 degrees (i.e., less than 1/4 turn) toward the lean direction.
    (4) re-plug the access hole.

When CO is high the normal troubleshooting things to check in addition to the too rich idle are:
    (1) Warm control pressure too low (use Bosch test gauge or equivalent with a T-fitting specifically for testing the WUP. Quick test: heater coil should show around 35 ohms resistance.)
    (2) Cold start valve leaking
    (3) Sensor plate binding
    (4) other fuel leakage (e.g., injectors, fuel accumulator, check valve at fuel pump)
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to have the 951 back together in time (Nov 16/17) for the PCA DE day at Inde Motorsports Track? I'm thinking about going. The Southern AZ PCA is at Arroyo Seco at the end of October. Want to go to that too, attended that event twice. Dave.
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
Brockoli  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wide band 02 sensor installed with the stock CIS. I set mine to 14.7:1 at idle. However I messed with the timing and the idle screw. I found that all three were variables in trying to get the car to idle at 950rpm with a 14.7:1 AFR. I removed my catalytic converter, EGR valve and I unplugged the lambda sensor.

I could let you know how many turns I have the mixture screw set at, timing and idle screw if that would help. I have found that barely adjusting the mixture screw (about 1/16-1/8 of a turn) would change the AFR by about 0.3.

My idle lately has been all over the place. 950 at start up then it can get stuck at anywhere from 1500-2200! which is really annoying when waiting for a light to change. I have replaced the WUR, AAV and CSV on the original engine that is currently in the car (my euro rebuild is still waiting)

25% of a '87 944 Chumpcar http://straightpipe.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2454

'79 924 Sebring Edition(Sitting)
ditch68  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great help.

I dropped it off this morning at a good shop. The Porsche mechanic chuckled when I popped the hood. "It's an old CIS system!" he says.

We talked for a while. He is going to see what he can do, check my fuel pressures and adjust what he can with the CO sensor hooked up.

If he isn't able to get it, I am going to just take it home and consider my options.

I'll let you know what happens later today. Good news is he has been a Porsche mechanic for years, worked at a dealer, and was even the "924 guy" back in the day. So he knows the cars, just has to dust off his knowledge of it because he hasn't had hands on one in a long time.

Jeff

Jeff

ditch68  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got the car back, and went for yet another test. But the line was long, the car was starting to overheat, so I was forced to shut it off a couple times. This of course cooled the cat and I failed. But just barely! I passed the HC (final reading 97ppm, standard is 220) Failed CO (final reading 3.18, standard is 2.20) Very close.

I had vacuum leaks I did not catch, bad timing setting, the EGR valve is bad, and apparently the vacuum advance is not functioning.

He got the mixture set pretty well. I am sure a hot cat will give me a passing test. Well, I hope so. Then I can start addressing the other stuff. Runs very well now, that much I know.

I was very happy with the shop and the mechanic in particular.

Jeff

ditch68  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grenadiers wrote:
Are you going to have the 951 back together in time (Nov 16/17) for the PCA DE day at Inde Motorsports Track? I'm thinking about going. The Southern AZ PCA is at Arroyo Seco at the end of October. Want to go to that too, attended that event twice. Dave.

Not sure on the 951 being done by then, though I am working on it daily. Maybe. I have to thin out the gun collection to raise some funds for that car. I decided to do as much as I can "while I am in there". And there is a lot, both basic maintenance, and performance upgrades.

I would like to show up either way, just to meet up and get back in the PCA crowd. I have been neglecting that!

Anyway, hope to meet you soon!

Jeff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: