Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Emissions difficulties on 1979 N/A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ditch68  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Emissions difficulties on 1979 N/A Reply with quote

Well, I have failed emissions. 4 times.

What I have done:
Plugs, cap, rotor, pulled injectors and ran brake cleaner through them with the red stick, the cone pattern is perfect and atomizes correctly. Checked my WUR, there was a cut wire at the connector, but that made no improvement in emissions, but really improved the way the car ran! Seafoam is something I use on all my cars. I also run Shell gas, not cheap Circle K crap.

I attempted the adjustment of the air/fuel mixture at the fuel distributor next, in concert with the idle screw on the throttle body. I have a nice, smooth idle at 800 rpm.

All the car needs here is an idle test being a '79. Basically it is running way too rich (high HC) and CO is very low Way under passing levels.

I seem to have misplaced my test result sheet. I'll keep looking for it and report those numbers.

Jeff

Past: 1986 951, 1988 924S, 1965 912 with '69 911T engine.
ThomasJoseph315  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent $400 on testing fees as I am from NY and hadn't a clue about CA emission laws.

Biggest factors for me:

Replace your cat, either mine was punched out, or it burned it's self through. Either way it was completely hollow. It was kinda impressive actually if someone scrapped it it was completely gone. I put a magnaflow converter on my 924 and it ran so clean 0.0% Co we had to richen it up to reduce NO2.

Find a testing facility that has a dyno, and put it on a test dyno to tune your air/fuel mix. There is absolutely no way you will ever tune this by yourself to pass emissions so save yourself some money and just pay someone to do a test n tune.

My EGR was connected, but I don't think it did anything. Their supposed to do something with the NO2 but who the hell knows. I made another post about how they fumbled the intake and that metal ring inside it is supposed to increase the vacuum but never opens. I tried cleaning mine out with brake cleaner and such,.. it was a waster of time.

The primary part of an emission test is to make sure your burning fuel at the right rate. The fuel distributor is so sensitive when you tun the 3mm allen wrench you can easily over shoot it.

Yes, do all the normal stuff, change plugs wires, oil change. If your car was sitting for any length of time you may need to put some good gas in it and run it for a few weeks before you notice that the idle smooths out.

Also,.. when they tune it to pass emission, my car would idle like crap and he had to really work the gas to keep it alive. He finally got it to pass.

Hope this helps!
ThomasJoseph315  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent $400 on testing fees as I am from NY and hadn't a clue about CA emission laws.

Biggest factors for me:

Replace your cat, either mine was punched out, or it burned it's self through. Either way it was completely hollow. It was kinda impressive actually if someone scrapped it it was completely gone. I put a magnaflow converter on my 924 and it ran so clean 0.0% Co we had to richen it up to reduce NO2.

Find a testing facility that has a dyno, and put it on a test dyno to tune your air/fuel mix. There is absolutely no way you will ever tune this by yourself to pass emissions so save yourself some money and just pay someone to do a test n tune.

My EGR was connected, but I don't think it did anything. Their supposed to do something with the NO2 but who the hell knows. I made another post about how they fumbled the intake and that metal ring inside it is supposed to increase the vacuum but never opens. I tried cleaning mine out with brake cleaner and such,.. it was a waster of time.

The primary part of an emission test is to make sure your cat is working and your burning fuel at the right rate. The fuel distributor is so sensitive when you tun the 3mm allen wrench you can easily over shoot it.

Yes, do all the normal stuff, change plugs wires, oil change. If your car was sitting for any length of time you may need to put some good gas in it and run it for a few weeks before you notice that the idle smooths out.

Also,.. when they tune it to pass emission, my car would idle like crap and he had to really work the gas to keep it alive. He finally got it to pass.

Oh hot tip! Check your performance of your cat with a laser,..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VZ5K8n5jj0&noredirect=1

Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: