Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

twincharger project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this a full time racer?
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeV wrote:
This project is amazing. Well done!

What is the material you put in the header panel vents? Where do you get it from? Does it stop insects/leaves getting in the rad?

thanks George, been a few hours into it so far,
mesh is just aluminium automotive mesh, you can get it off ebay or autobarn etc... mainly for rock / debris, would do litlle for insects

Morghen, road registered project only, will track it at some stage...

updates;
trans... I must have accidentally dropped out the stop from second gear as I found it floating around the end case, short of it, syncro and dogring both need replacing...

also whilst i'm waiting for parts I'm going to make a new rear coolant flange as the repair work welds my mate made aren't holding up, under pressure they're weeping coolant.
Stu
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then why not keep the interior?
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interior will be done last after the bodywork is done, ive got most pieces in black that i need. Alot of the carpet needed replacing and the leathe has separated from the roof anx sunroof so needs attending as well.
Still deciding whether to put in a roll cage or not..
Just updated the suspension with height adjustable coilovers. 200's and caber plates and changed the rear shocks with added helper springs.
Stu
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coilovers for the rears too?
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just some of the spring assisted VW versions, nothing special there... just going to see if the work, I might even rip off the springs and weld the support to the originals after i do a fluid change... see how it goes...
but concentrating on trans and rear coolan flange now... awaiting a pneumatic die grinder to arrive, my drill died the other day mixing clay render...untrelated to the car...
Stu
931 twinturbo  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope You will make an youtube video off the car, so we can see it in action and listen to the engine++++++++

Interesting project!!!
924Na stock 1982Mod
*911S Targa slantnose 1975mod
*924Na 1977Mod Carrera GT kit
*944NA Type 1 1984Mod
*924 Turbo Serie2 1980mod
*924 Turbo Serie2 1980Mod
*924NA 1982Mod
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of these pics are posted around before but I wanted to keep all the info together on the build,
first off the trans linkage modification, this was an impact driver universal joint, it's spring assissted and so will give a little on the backshift, I also notice the flex in the trans mounts do this too... A 100mm bolt was welded to the end of the universal and a nut welded to the end of the shift rod. Another jam nut was added to set the adjustment length. The shift rod was changed for the audi unit along with the shift mount and ball socket reciever on the torque tube. A little grinding clearance on the trans flange was made too, mainly for the jam nut.

Pic of the front coilover, these are 225's and camber plates at the top.

Lastly, thankfully finished off the trans rebuild, it was a momumental effort to try and find a second gear syncro hub, low and behold I have found a replacement part for another car that is a better match than the albins hub...
so with new hub, syncro, brake band and just about everything else I could change the trans is back in.... Spoiler alert purists aint going to like the next pic... but it was done for a few reasons... mainly lying on my back fighting with a trans is not fun... and in removing the rear seats the plan was to make a cover at any rate, hence the frame I welded in....this will add a little support but is not intended for any major structural reinforcement... just to brace out the hole. There will also be another aluminium dust shield going over the cutout too.

I have also remade the rear coolant flange as my mates aluminium welding was weeping coolant through the porous welds. I think I got just about all the leaks taken care of now. I've also added a regulator to the top port of the wastegate and I have a boost/vac guage that I will mount in the line between the tubo and sc intake just so I can find out if I need to make a bypass valve to alleviate excessive vaccum. Although if someone wants to suggest what would be considered excessive vaccum I'm listening...
Stu
GeorgeV  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive stuff!
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI
Minimal vaccuum measured between turbo and SC
Pressure difference was around 3 psi as far as being able to watch two pressure gauges an afr gauge and the road at the same time...

Still doing some more work on the car as I threw the water pump/alt belt and blew the lower rad hose off... But the latters a pretty simple fix as the intermediate pipe didnt have a lip.
The car was running pretty hot, mainly think this was because I hadnt bled it enough and also the reduced frontal exposure of the radiator...

Note: This problem ended up being the result of a faulty connection in the crimping of the lines between the relay and solenoid... soldered now and confirmed opening/closing...

The alt belt alignment requires a little more work as the offset is causing a little clearance issue to the b+ terminal.
I might try either relocating this or shaving a few mm from the manifold and a new shorter belt is on the way too.

Note: Both completed, insulation of the B+ terminal is required and there is also a hard wire that helps support the pole, easy enough to solder onto.
Shorter belt used, will also make rear support bracket for adjusting bracket to tap onto the thermostat or manifold bolts most likely.

Radiator shroud made/installed (rewelded intercooler pipe for clearance) and fans are now wired in parrallel.

Working on body work in the meantime in waiting for a silicon hose reducer for the upper rad connection to replace a splitting rubber one.
Stu
GeorgeV  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Stu,

Any news on your beast?

G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: