Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Need help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mudd  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Need help Reply with quote

I have a 1978 924 with 18000 miles. Starts fine but after 10 minutes of driving and the car warms up the idle goes to 2000 rpm. Also, I am not getting heat. The blower works but the air does not get hot. I am a noob
, but I am trying to learn.
Mudd  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mike924  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you've got documentation to back the mileage up, I'd assume a car showing 18,000 miles on the clock has really done 118,000 miles (at least)...

The idle adjustment is a small screw in the throttle body. With the engine warm, turn the screw in (in your case) to reduce the revs to a more sensible 850 rpm.

If that doesn't work check the integrity of the pipework to the AAV (auxiliary air valve). In fact, do that anyway.

Once you've settled the idle speed, you may encounter starting problems... I suspect a previous owner may have upped the idle speed to cover a problem with starting. A common bodge...

Welcome to the crazy world of CIS injection. Good luck!

'There is no substitute for a little grease under your fingernails.' - Chrenan, 924board.org
staticsan  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A common concern is vacuum leaks. Especially if a previous owner's mechanic raised the idle to help it start. The CIS really doesn't like vacuum leaks because it messes up the airflow meter's metering.

Wade.
pmcaya2  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning the lack of heat - you might want to see if the lines going to the heater get warm. If they do, its probably a problem with the mechanical control that ducts the warm coolant to the heater core. You didn't say that the car overheats, so I assume that the thermostat's OK.

Caution: replacing a thermostat looks like an easy job, but be prepared to drill and tap the bolt holes after the existing bolts break. This seem to be a problem on these cars. Even after soaking the thermostat housing bolts with penetrating oil, I first broke the bolt heads, then the bolts when I tried vice grips.

P.S. my '82 924 NA has 193,000mi and runs great.
scm924s  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need help Reply with quote

Mudd wrote:
. The blower works but the air does not get hot. I am a noob.

Most likely cause is the heater control valve, it is at the back of the intake manifold near the bulkhead. Check it's operation by getting someone to operate the control lever in the cabin whilst watching for valve movement. It is common for the cable to become detached.
1984 n/a Black - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#1 - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#2- sold
1977 Martini - sold
Mudd  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike924 If you saw this car you would know it only has 18,000 miles, it looks brand new, minus a couple door dings. The PO owned an oil company and bought it new in 1978. It is the Limited Edition model http://transaxle.homeip.net/924/924/LimitedEdition/Index.htm. Also, the title documentation indicates the milage is correct.
Thanks everybody for the things I can check this weekend to hopefully at least get heat into the cabin, it's getting cold here in Cincinnati.
Ozzie  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacuum leaks, check all your hoses.

Probably find the heater valve is stuck ir disconnected. Its a white and black thing under the coil in the heater hoses.
Engineer of Electro/Mechanical Systems Maintenance
Mike924  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudd wrote:
Mike924 If you saw this car you would know it only has 18,000 miles, it looks brand new, minus a couple door dings. The PO owned an oil company and bought it new in 1978. It is the Limited Edition model http://transaxle.homeip.net/924/924/LimitedEdition/Index.htm. Also, the title documentation indicates the milage is correct.

That's great! It sounds like you've got a really rare car there (if not the lowest 924 in existence...!)

I wasn't knocking your car; it was just a general warning. Clearly not applicable, in your case...

We need pix, of course...

'There is no substitute for a little grease under your fingernails.' - Chrenan, 924board.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: