Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Win the Battle With Your Pilot Bearing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RC  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread in the PB carrier which P refers to as:
Quote:
47 105 169 A
sleeve with needle-roller bearing

is definitely a M12x1.5 thread. Acording to the PET, same part # is used throughout all the 2.0L NA models.

It is indeed rather thin, about 4 threads or 6mm max so it`s not difficult to understand why some of these get stripped, particularly if the incorrect thread is forced through.

Note the marking on the inserted tap. A head stud with M12x1.75 thread is included for comparison.

The whole thing; carrier, bearing & seal is nearly $90 @ Pelican, an OE part. The bearing itself (047 105 313) is cheap @ $6, the seal (047 105 311) a rip @ $30.

After some time wasting, think that the Ford bearing is same as a 1990 Bronco 2 with 2.9L.

Allan @ DTA wrote:
I have no issue with superchargers, they are for guys who want to drive a car rather than talk about horsepower with their baseball cap on backwards
!tom  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just confirmed that indeed the clutch housing to engine block M12 bolts are M12x1.5. You'll have some of those handy as you will have removed the bell housing, and that's the size I used.
RC  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!tom wrote:
I have just confirmed that indeed the clutch housing to engine block M12 bolts are M12x1.5.

Only by referring to the FSM or tech specs I bet.

I`m happy to bet a case of beer.

Had you psychically checked the bolts and block threads with an accurate thread gauge like I did you would very likely be posting that there is a discrepancy with the Porsche data.

On an XJ and VC block at least, the thread is standard metric course, M12 x 1.75. So while we are both in thread correction mode, how about really checking on an actual engine block and post back the result.

A trivial point perhaps but it may just make this job much easier for another reader by not fouling or stripping the thread with an incorrect bolt.

Allan @ DTA wrote:
I have no issue with superchargers, they are for guys who want to drive a car rather than talk about horsepower with their baseball cap on backwards
!tom  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC,

Correct on all counts. The FSM lists the bolts as M12x1.5, and I know they're standard metric coarse thread.

And, like I said previously, I did use this size to pull the pilot bearing. This must explain why I found the need to run a tap through the bearing carrier, which in retrospect was not a good thing to do.

Good thing I have an untouched spare still in the crank of my spare engine!

This may also explain the tendency reported here on the threads in the carrier stripping out. I read elsewhere to use an engine bolt to press out the carrier and several anecdotes of this stripping the carrier out. Hopefully the correct size (such as an upper transmission bell housing bolt for the Audi bell housing at least) would work without damaging the carrier.
Slam  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of a silly argument. I stripped out mine, tapped it for a bigger bolt and pulled it. I think the danger is in stripping the housing if you intend to re-use it. I didn't care; I just wanted the little bastard out. The issue then becomes the price of the housing, as the needle bearings are cheap and plentiful.
'80 924 - gone
'78 924 - gone
'77 924 - rusting comfortably
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearing update: 1986 Bronc II , 2.9l, Mazda transmission, National Bearing #F33126

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
DentalFlossTycoon  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:28 am    Post subject: Plot bearing removal: complete Reply with quote

It’s worth noting that the early style 924 NA pilot bearing does not have the threads at the inner end; it is an open cylinder with no provision to remove it. With the engine still in the car, I pulled the flywheel off and soaked the housing in PB Blaster. Then I drilled two holes in the bearing housing portion that sticks out (which is not easy to do) so I could put a pin through them (perpendicular to the crank).

The pin had to be a hardened drill bit that I cut to about 22mm in length. I bent smaller drill bits and other hardened steel pins. I think I used a 7/32” drill bit but don’t quite remember. Then I cut a piece of 10mm diameter all-thread to about a 10cm in length and drilled a hole in one end perpendicular to the length of the piece, so I could pass the pin through the holes in the housing and the holes in the all-thread. Then I assembled the all-thread and pin thorough the housing surrounded by a 32mm socket up against the engine, so the square driver end of the socket faced the back of the car and the all-thread came through it. Heavy washers and a nut on the exposed side of all-thread competed the tool.

Before pulling the housing, I had to secure the engine from turning, using a ratchet strap and socket wrench on the pulley at the front of the motor. Back at the pilot bearing I could then slowly tighten the bolt on the all-tread, and it gradually extracted the pilot bearing. It took a lot of effort and force, but eventually the housing came out of the crank (and remains stuck in the socket with the all-thread, pin, nut, and washer).

This process took me weeks to figure out. Sorry I’m not quite sure how to post pictures to show it, but here is a link to a video of the socket and housing after they came out of the vehicle.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ye9CSJComOs?si=3gIogy3M4UxqbpKV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: