Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Chicagoland Help - Head gasket...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skemcin  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Chicagoland Help - Head gasket... Reply with quote

I'm hoping there might be someone that can help me use my latest purchase to assist me in something I've never done - a head gasket - on my 79 n/a.

I don't want to bother with this until March when I will have more time and money - so this is just a feeler I guess.

Let me know - thanks in advance.
9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power

Last edited by skemcin on Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy... you don't even need those!
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
skemcin  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
It's easy... you don't even need those!
I got these for my Subaru and just haven't done the research on the 924 since keeping my daily driver active has has been my priority for the last year.

you can do the HG with the motor in the 924? I did a quick (not thorough) search for a tutorial here and didn't find one. Do you know of one documented?

p.s. hadn't check the Haynes manual yet either, just assumed a HG would need the motor pulled
9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not at all, unless you have head studs and cannot remove the studs. The exh manifold nuts are a PITA to get to, but you get used to it; remove the starter and oil filter, and it's easier.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
skemcin  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
No, not at all, unless you have head studs and cannot remove the studs. The exh manifold nuts are a PITA to get to, but you get used to it; remove the starter and oil filter, and it's easier.
hmm - we'll I've done the oil filter - lol - and the replaced the starter so maybe I'm not that far away from managing this [newbie nerves]

[but still would be comforting to have local reassurance/guidance]
emoore924  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piece o cake. Done many. I actually have part of my "broken parts wall of shame" dedicated to 924 head gaskets. I think I'm up to 5 or 6 at this point. And each one has a story...

Haynes has a decent procedure. I think I have mine written down somplace too. I think I got it down to about 5 hours to get the head off and back on and that's being methodical.

You won't need the engine hoist unless your head is really stuck on there somehow or you forget the 10mm bolt at the back of the head where the dizzy housing bolts up. Then you can use the engine hoist to break that off

LMK if you want me to find the procedure and write it up here for you... No guarantees that it is complete or will work for you of course. But hey it would be a starting point.
skemcin  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emoore924 wrote:
piece o cake. Done many. I actually have part of my "broken parts wall of shame" dedicated to 924 head gaskets. I think I'm up to 5 or 6 at this point. And each one has a story...

Haynes has a decent procedure. I think I have mine written down somplace too. I think I got it down to about 5 hours to get the head off and back on and that's being methodical.

You won't need the engine hoist unless your head is really stuck on there somehow or you forget the 10mm bolt at the back of the head where the dizzy housing bolts up. Then you can use the engine hoist to break that off

LMK if you want me to find the procedure and write it up here for you... No guarantees that it is complete or will work for you of course. But hey it would be a starting point.

Interesting. I've got a friend who has pulled and done head gaskets on several Subarus - I know nothing alike - but worth mentioning in respect to him being able to look at a write up and understand what needs to get done. So yeah, if you find the time and could post something - even an general outline of some sort that would be greatly appreciated.

I've got a feeling that after I get my hands dirty (for the first time on a larger project) this weekend with my Subaru, I should feel better about getting dirty with the 924. I'll just have to find a few side jobs to pay for the parts I'll need for everything else it needs.

Anyway, please let me know if you end up putting/posting something on a HG job.

Thanks
emoore924  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=327808#327808

Basics are there but I'd recommend a Haynes manual. Available on Amazon...
skemcin  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emoore924 wrote:
Here ya go

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=327808#327808

Basics are there but I'd recommend a Haynes manual. Available on Amazon...
cool - thanks - I've got the Haynes manual - this is huge help. Thanks a ton.

By any chance, any pics?

[worried about asking too much]
emoore924  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By any chance, any pics?

Ja, they're in the Haynes manual
skemcin  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emoore924 wrote:
Quote:
By any chance, any pics?

Ja, they're in the Haynes manual
Thanks, obviously haven't checked yet. Sorry for the rather knee jerk respnose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: