Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Drilled Brake Rotors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epsylon  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a company that sells drilled front rotors for the 924 N/A? Mine are in pretty bad shape and need replacing, thought I would upgrade if possible. Are the front rotors on my car from anther car (ie volkswagon or audi )? Or should I go to to the 944 braking system, seems like a lot of work when all I really need is some new rotors. How about a company that drills rotors for any application?
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to http://www.performanceproducts.com
epsylon  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

checked out the site and all they had for the 4 bolt 924 N/A application are the "Frozen Rotors" which are not drilled. are these any better than the stock rotors?

epsylon  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool found some:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/944M/POR_944M_brakes_pg5.htm
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to let you know those are for the 5 bolt pattern (M471) if you get the performance products catalog I am sure I have found some in there or you can call them if you wish
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drilled aren't any better, just make more noise, wear more quickly, and will eat pads. Furthermore you will lose braking effectiveness, not gain cooling.

Some people think they look cool, though.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
epsylon  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really going for looks, although my scored rotors look like crap right now. maybe i should be looking for vented and not drilled.
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughn how cum Porsche offers drilled totors for thier cars if they aren't effective.

I haven't noticed an increase in noise or diminished braking form having them on the front..
What gives?

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think they'd at least improve wet braking.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is what they do they make wet braking more efficent and also they DO help to disperse heat which in turn helps to stop pedal fade as for the rest I don't know
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do not help disperse heat, they will actually have more of an impact (as a result of lost surface area and mass) to make braking worse (loss of what we call Cp, specific brake torque, expressed as Newton-meters/bar). They will not help fade.

They will hepl clear water from the pad surface, which helps high-speed wet braking - autobahn.

Otherwise they suck. Listen to the brake engineer. I was working on a project, they wanted to put in cross-drilled rotors for looks/marketing, and had to ditch them because the performance wasn't there.

Vented is another story, they are good and do work. Want vented rotors? Get the M471/944/5-lug brake conversion.

'82 931 Plat. Silver
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok we gotcha I was going by what they claim I have never tried them
numbers  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan, what about sloted rotors? Same story?
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing drilled rotors definately do is reduce weight! Everything else (cooling, braking power, gas/dust scavenging) seems to be up to debate. Drilled rotors definately crack more often than non-drilled rotors, especially if they're truly drilled and not cast into the rotor when it's made. I wouldn't use them, as I've heard too many cracked rotor stories, even on the cast-in holes. I'm definately interested in hearing Vaughan's opinion of slotted rotors, though!
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even cast cross-"drilled" rotors crack. Slotted are definitely better for durability, not the cracking issue, less of a loss of surface area, and do enough to clean the pad surface of water - not to mention more evenly. However still no advantage, really, in hot braking.

Drilled - weight? Yes on motorcycles, but not enough of an improvement on cars to be worth the loss of braking performance.

If you've got a brake fade problem, most likely you're using an incorrect/inferior brake pad. Get a semi-metallic, I highly recommend and use the Axxis Metal Masters for street cars. Performance Friction makes some nice stuff too, have them on my tow vehicle (Chev Suburban), but haven't run them on a 924. For track use, get a track pad, and consider the 5-lug brake upgrade.

I wouldn't have a problem running slotted rotors, but I wouldn't spend any extra money on them personally. For me, it's a moot point, since I am not allowed to run any drilled or slotted rotors on the racecar per the rulebook. Of course, I don't need them either.

'82 931 Plat. Silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: