Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Short Shifter for Snailshell now available
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Short Shifter for Snailshell now available Reply with quote

Fresh out of the machine shop:

I have an initial run, 20 available. From now through October 15, these will be available exclusively to 924board.org members at an introductory price $145 + shipping. Remaining inventory after October 15th will go up on Ideola's Garage and our eBay store at a to-be-determined (read: higher) price.

In the 941, I found that the height of my lever was nice for road use, but perhaps a bit short for track use, where you may wish for less distance and motion between the steering wheel and the shift knob. Consequently, we intentionally had the machinist leave the length of the shift lever a bit longer. The pivot points determine the shorter throws, the height of the knob (and therefore distance from steering wheel) may be customized by the individual owner by simply trimming the end of the lever with a hack saw.

This is a direct bolt-in replacement for the factory G31 / G16 shift lever, and uses all of the factory bushings and mounting arrangement. Note, however, that this lever is designed to accommodate aftermarket shift knobs, not the factory knob. I highly recommend the Momo Super Anatomico

Contact me via email or PM to place your order. I can provide four fresh plastic bushings for the shift lever upon request for an additional nominal cost.
ic932  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, whats the approx throw reduction?
TBrown  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures installed please!
1982 Yamaha Sr185
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1974 Honda CB360
1973 Honda CB750
Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, is there any possibility to put the original knob on? I havent taken mine apart so I dont know how its mounted. Shorter throws would be great, atm my girl friend who is shorter than me and have to sit with the seat up front can barely shift on 3rd and fifth at the track since the shift motion is too large. This could be a solution, any numbers on the distance reduction?
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw these at the shop the other day - very nice, as I'd expect...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, crazy busy weekend. I'll snap some pix later tonight of an earlier version of this installed in my 941 with and without the boot. I'll also post some pix of this compared to the stock unit so you can get an idea of the throw reduction and what would need to be done to fit a stock shift knob/boot.
bnoon  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you're able to pick these up as a full time item. I'd love to firm up the shifts and do a full bushing replacement/upgrade, but time/money won't be available for this shifter for a while yet. I should at least do the bushings though. Nice product Dan, good luck with it!
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Dan.

Sticking with original design too!
Man that was long ago. Back around 2003ish I first made a couple of these.

These are worth the upgrade fellas!
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the Momo knob attach? What do you do for a boot? Does the boot fit our shift surround like stock?
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
How does the Momo knob attach? What do you do for a boot? Does the boot fit our shift surround like stock?

Pix and answers to come later this afternoon.
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Dan

A bit of weight loss as well

very cool
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:

The Momo knobs (I had one on my Shelby-ized Rampage and my GLH-Turbo before installing Hurst shifters) that Dan's talking about simply slide over the top of the lever with a rubber cup to make up the difference between the threaded portion of many levers and the inside diameter of the knob. They then use three set screws near the bottom, covered by a threaded collar, to hold the knob in place.

Since there isn't a ridge machined into the lever (which could weaken it and may not work for your desired height/length anyway), I might carefully line everything up and mark the centers of the holes for the set screws and carefully dimple the lever slightly to help the knob stay in place.

Goodness knows that having a loose knob is never a good idea.
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparison of OEM lever to short shift lever:

As you can see, it uses all the OEM hardware, bushings, clips, etc. so it is direct bolt in, no mods required to the shift linkage.

In order to use the OEM shift knob, you will need to convert the round end of the short shift lever to the flat bar style by grinding it down to match the OEM lever. Since this is made of aluminum, a bench grinder should make very quick work of this task. Here is a photo depicting the flat bar style of the OEM lever to the round end of the short shift lever:

This is a photo showing all of the bits that come with the Momo Super Anatomico shift knob. As Stefan described, there is a screw-on base, three set screws, an Allen wrench, and five different rubber bushings for adapting the end of the shift lever to the knob.

Installation of the Momo knob is a piece of cake:

Here is a photo of one of Lizard's original short shift levers in my 941:

As I noted in the OP, the original design is OK for street driving, but in my opinion, probably a little too short for track use because it moves the knob too far from the steering wheel, resulting in increased motion (i.e. inefficiency in shifting) from the wheel to the knob. So when I made this batch, I opted to keep the lever a bit longer, although you can see it is still slightly shorter than the OEM lever. As for the reduction in throw, I have no idea how to calculate that, but you can see the increase in distance between the pivot points in the first two photos above.

As for fitting a shift boot, I like the utilitarian look of the early 4-speed style rubber boots, so that's what I'll be using in all of mine. Because the OEM leather boot that came on the snailshell-equipped cars is integrated to the knob, you won't be able to use it unless you also use the OEM knob. If you use a Momo knob and want a leather boot, I would recommend purchasing a matching Momo shift gaiter / boot.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there are any follow up questions.
ic932  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me a short shifter means a shorter throw, not a shorter stick lol. I think this product is great if you are after an aftermarket knob but apart from that... and its just my abrasive opinion, its unproven as a reduction throw short shifter. Therefore should be sold as a momo knob conversion kit and nothing more.

I'll be the first in the queue to buy one but its got to deliver the very reason to buy one....reduction throw short shifter. Not a shorter lever that only a aftermarket knob will fit unless you spend time with the ole grinder

Not good Dan...

ps, the thought that went into the hole dimentions? Did this have no bearing on the throw?
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, by spacing the pivot points further apart, the throw required to change gears is reduced. Basic levers and pivots from Geometry 101.

But I'm not going to post a percentage or number based on speculation because I don't know by how much the throw is reduced. But trust me, it's reduced. If you don't want to take my word for it, fine, don't buy one. But don't tell me how to market my product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: