Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

UT-CIS FAIL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: UT-CIS FAIL Reply with quote

Unwired Tools wrote:
Dear UTCIS customer:

Yesterday we found that the flexible tube used inside the UTCIS was made from the incorrect material. This tube is about 3" long and it connects the Teflon pressure line from the UTCIS valve body to the control pressure sensor inside the UTCIS controller housing. We traced this problem to a vendor who was supposed to supply a high quality Silicone tubing. Our normal vendor was out of stock so we used an alternate. The problem is that our alternate vendor had a mis-print in their catalog. Instead of Silicone tubing, we received a quantity of "Silcone" (trade name) which isn't Silicone and isn't suitable for gasoline. This incorrect tubing type is not compatible with gasoline and it will weaken and leak. When a leak occurs the car will likely not start because the control pressure will be very low, under 1 bar. If this occurs gasoline will leak into the controller body, which should not affect the controller itself.

Please stop using the UTCIS immediately. We can offer you a replacement tube if you prefer to get your UTCIS back into service more quickly. Changing this tube takes about 5 minutes once you have access to the controller. To gain access to this tube you only need to remove the controller from its mount in order to remove the cover. The UTCIS valve body can remain in place. If you prefer, we will gladly service your UTCIS for you and we will pay for shipment back to us and return shipment to you.

Please contact us as soon as possible so that we can remedy this problem.

Sincerely,
Steve Schlanger
UnwiredTools Support

NFW.
stevekat  

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Haven't heard from them. Hope my unit from earlier is OK.

Gone to new home: '81 924T, US version, CGT Intercooler, UTCIS-PT, Euro DITC, Greddy Trust MBC, Forged Fuchs Flat Dish 6's, Factory Recaro's.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, at least they owned up to the mistake and are wiing to make it right. At least it didn't fail on you and you now have a chance to get it fixed before you get back to driving "shaggy" on a regular basis.
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these mistakes happen on a larger scale too....think toyota...thing gas pedal

IMO what the guys did here is only fair...and honorable.
i'm not trying to kiss their ass but if they pay for shipping and replace the parts...they sent emails to everyone.....well thats a company i'd want to deal with.
gegge  

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you tell if you got the faulty "Silcone" hose? By color or brandname?

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *just* purchased a UT-CIS and received it over the holiday weekend. I also got this email.

The fact that they have owned up to issue and are offering to make it right at no cost to the individual is pretty remarkable in this day and age. I'm impressed.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the positive comments toward the company, and don't mean to dispute them or tear down Unwired Tools. However, this is a product defect that could result in spraying fuel and/or fire. As such, it is addressed as a legal necessity, not due to altruism or customer service. . .take it from a pro!
RC  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta`s the expert on US litigation but must agree with his comments regardless. These people are responsible for a faulty product and liable for the consequences, so are only covering their arse really. Similar consumer laws in the US as here I imagine. Purchasers are entitled to a full refund. Their choice of refund, repair replacement, modification. Note how in the email they promote their easiest and cheapest fix of "DIY" with them only supplying a few inches of hose. Then I am sure any warranty will be void and YOU then become responsible for any fault.

Sure that the best advice from a lawyer would be to send it back for replacement preferably (if you still want one), or a repair.

Has anyone heard of "silcone" hose, trade or brand name? Google hasn`t. Reading between the lines gives a good idea that they bought some cheap and clearly nasty hose from either a Chinese or Nigerian seller, or maybe from an illiterate local one without a spell checker.
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a smart business decision to fix the problem now rather than risk litigation after the fires have started.

BP should be so prudent.
stevekat  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unwired Tools is clearly engaging in good corporate and ethical policy.

I have an older unit (from July 2009) and called to check I had no issues.

They let me know that the issues effects only very recent units, something like the last two weeks (say a few weeks.)

To clarify, since I was confused, the issue is found in the controller box, not in the motor/valve unit, so should be easy to access.

Gone to new home: '81 924T, US version, CGT Intercooler, UTCIS-PT, Euro DITC, Greddy Trust MBC, Forged Fuchs Flat Dish 6's, Factory Recaro's.
flosho  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough*shouldawentmegasquirt*cough*
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough*youholedapistononmegasquirt*cof*
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough*gointmegasquirthasntrunintwoyears*cough*
flosho  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough*

Holed a valve not a piston...

Fiat, you need to get your ass in gear! I've personally sent out 2 or 3 base maps that have helped people get their cars running!

*cough*
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: