Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

951 inside a 924S chassis.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cvriv.charles  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: 951 inside a 924S chassis. Reply with quote

Hello. I am new here. I post mostly over at pelican because of the fact that I own an 1986 951.

Unfortunately,... I wrecked my car. I am in need of a new chassis. Several guys from pelican suggested I get a 924S chassis and install all my 951 components to this chassis. From what I read this chassis is a lot lighter.

I also read that a german mechanic has already done this and it turned out to be one kick arse car. I was thinking that maybe I would take this route.

I have so many concerns though. I want to know how much modification is needed to pull off such a thing. I think I read that the engine harness for the 924S is on one side and the 951 harness is on the other side of the vehicle. That I would need to swap sides. I dont know whats involved with that. I was told that I need a turbo nose to fit the intercooler. What else?

I read that the 924S weighs about 2600 with a full tank of gas and a driver inside? The dimensions of the 924S is the same as the 944/ 951's right?

I saw a guy give away his 924S shell for free right on this very board. To bad im to late for that. Does anyone have a 924S chassis for a decent price? Im really in no hurry. Im actually trying to decide if I want to buy a chassis now(next month or so) or if I should put it off for awhile and just keep my eyes open for a 924S chassis and just see what happens.

For reason of simplicity,...I would love to just buy a 951 chassis and just move everything over. But this whole light weight super porsche thing has seriously caught my attention. My 951 has a K-28 turbo with #65 delcos and a guru chip. The engine puts out just about 300hp. I plan on rebuilding and modifying some so that I can be assure that my engine is putting out over 300hp. I also have a manual tranny with LSD and an oil cooler. Im figuring that if I could pull this off plus with some new body work and suspension upgrades etc,... I would end up with some kind of super car.

The big thing right now is how much work is involved and where and when to get a chassis?!?!?

Thanks guys.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, noticed this post a while back and never responded.

When I was pondering this process, I came up with a couple guidelines. First, I really wanted the two cards side-by-side for the procedure, so both could be studied and the wiring hardnesses could be moved over in a methodical manner. Second, in order to use the factory IC, you would need to cut the radiator subframe from the 951 and weld it into the 924S. Finally, you'd need to be very patient about moving over all the heat shielding from the 951. You can also use the plastic tank from the 951 and improved tranny crossmember.

This is a very doable project and would result in a MONSTER car. I'd encourage you to try it, and people here or at Pelican would be ready to assist.

Good luck,

rasta
cvriv.charles  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might give it a go. But I cant at the moment because im stupid busy with working on the house. That and im trying to start up a business too. So much on my hands right now. Thanks.
Khal  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
This is a very doable project and would result in a MONSTER car.

Not only can it be done, it has been done. The result is astounding
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: