Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Thoughts on whether a Subaru boxer engine would fit a 924.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milnersXcoupe  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks !

I'll check NASIOC and ClubWRX later for some spec numbers to compare against the 911 Turbo air cooled.

Eyeball your Porsche Coupe engine bay - we betting out of the money here ?
skemcin  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milnersXcoupe wrote:
Thanks !

I'll check NASIOC and ClubWRX later for some spec numbers to compare against the 911 Turbo air cooled.

Eyeball your Porsche Coupe engine bay - we betting out of the money here ?
I posed the question some time ago - about putting the Impreza engine and drive train in a 924 - might provide some additional insight.
9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
milnersXcoupe  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Subaru Turbo 2.5 \ Will it Fit - You Decide \ Reply with quote

Ok- .. great reading .

My project is to install my 356 shell on a 924s shortened platform - the widths are the same [!] and using Turbo Subaru 2.5 power.

I would have bought that WRX in a heartbeat.

If - the engine bay is wide enough to take the WRX engine - it's a screaming good upgrade @ 265hp and a lower CG .

.. but will it Fit

Photos lifted from:

6speedonline.com Forums > Porsche (Past) > 944 Turbo & S
Reload this Page 951 Winter Progress...

MPD47 MPD47
Only 5SPEED
My Garage

here's a 951 Turbo engine still attached to the cross member & suspension - note the Turbo Exhaust points Straight Down:

Worry over a deep Subaru Sump ? Here's the PORSCHE :

PORSCHE Engine Bay

Last edited by milnersXcoupe on Sat May 16, 2009 6:07 am; edited 2 times in total
skemcin  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that any of my measurements might mislead you on (underneath) is the fact that our Subaru is an automatic. The transmission pan and filter are the lowest set items under the engine. I'm assuming the manual gear box will leave you more room underneath. I didn't read all the way through that post recently, but either someone mentioned it there or I'm thinking of it now, but it might be a deal breaker if the only way to get the motor in ends up positioning the front dif to far forward or back to safely link to the front wheels. I know the intake on the Subaru engine sits pretty high and to the back (near firewall) so it would be interesting to see if there is room there too.

btw - the 356wrx sounds like it will be one fun car to drive
9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
milnersXcoupe  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a Forum Member with an Empty 924 Engine Bay and a Tailors Tape Measure
skemcin  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milnersXcoupe wrote:
We need a Forum Member with an Empty 924 Engine Bay and a Tailors Tape Measure
and some cardboard to make a mock-up

milnersXcoupe  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: H6 Subaru EZ30 Engine - 6 cyl. PORSCHE \ SUBARU design Reply with quote

Perrin H6 Build Up - A HP Turbo H6 Subaru Engine:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1187722&highlight=EZ30+Turbo

[quote]

Cutaway of EZ30R, aka H6

After getting the engine in hand a few other things that surprised us. The manifold is plastic, which sounds scary.

But like other intake manifolds on cars, this is a glass-filled Nylon, which is good to 400+degrees and will hold high pressures at these temps.

Plus the way these are manufactured, they allow for very smooth, very large internal diameters.

Second surprise is the ports on the head. They are huge compared to the 4 cylinder ports.

I was a little worried as since each runner is feeding smaller pistons they might be smaller than the 4 cylinder ports which feed larger pistons.

But we were wrong.

Another thing that we really liked was the throttle body. Yes its feeding a bigger engine, but it is feeding less power, so smaller throttle body???

Nope! Even better it was bigger! 3"OD vs. the WRX 2.75".

Another good surprise.

THE ENGINE

There are many things about this engine that are very cool. Just looking at the specs doesn't do it justice. 3.0L, 6 cylinders, DOHC, AVCS, AVLS, 250HP in stock form, aluminum block, forged steel crank, chain driven cams,

and only .700" longer than an EJ20!

Did I mention 3 point zero liters!

Being familiar with the 4 bangers, the first thing that I was interested in seeing was how the Variable lift worked.

The cams are the first strange thing you see as each valve has 3 lobes. One central lobe for the low lift and 2 outer ones for high lift, longer duration.

The bucket is where the magic happens. There is an inner and outer piston that rubs on both cam lobes all time.

When the solenoid allows oil pressure to shoot through the oil gallery, it locks the inner piston to the outer piston/bucket, and bam, new cam profile.

I have to say this is probably the coolest part of the engine.

Word is this is a co-developed technology from Porsche and Subaru, sure enough the parts are made in Germany.

Perrin's H6 Turbo Engine -

milnersXcoupe  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ

Instead of stretching their current EJ20 as most might suspect, in 2000 Subaru did this family from the ground up. It is a totally new DOHC design using dual timing chains and coil-on-plug ignition. Nothing from these engines are interchangeable with any other Subaru engine as in the past. The EZ36 was introduced in 2008 to help the Tribeca's sluggish performance. It is a bored and stroked version of the EZ30.

* EZ30: 2999.6cc DOHC, 212-250hp found in 2000+ Subaru Outback H6, Legacy 3.0R, and Subaru Tribeca

* EZ36: 3564.3cc DOHC, 256@6000rpm 247lb-ft@4400rpm found in the 2008 Subaru Tribeca

Engine specifications EZ30 Type: flat-6, aluminum block and heads

Bore x stroke: 3.51 x 3.15 in, 89.2 x 80.0 mm

Displacement: 183 cu in, 3000 cc

Compression ratio: 10.7:1

Fuel-delivery system: port injection

Valve gear: chain-driven double overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder, hydraulic lifters, variable intake- and exhaust-valve timing and lift

Power (SAE net): 256 bhp (191 kW) @ 6000 rpm

Torque (SAE net): 247 lb·ft (335 N·m) @ 4400 rpm

Redline: 6500 rpm

Weight: 130kg (dry)

EZ30R Engine Weight is roughly 240 lbs. dry

911 Porsche Engine Weight : 350-450 lbs.
Cirno  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a N/A EJ22 in my Subaru, I did a real rough measurement that seemed to indicate that engine would fit with a couple inches of clearance on either side of the narrowest part of the 924 engine bay. I think one day I'd like to marry my snailshell drivetrain to a EG33 though. EG33 is a EJ22 with a extra row of pistons. It's from the older SVX's that Subaru made between 90-97. They are a lot cheaper to get a hold of then the EZ engines or EJ20's. They're N/A, Aluminum and put out 265HP, which should make it a perfect fit...

or at least thats how it plays out in my dreams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: