Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Available Soon: Purpose-built Fuel Rail for 924/931
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Available Soon: Purpose-built Fuel Rail for 924/931 Reply with quote

Aluminum extrusion, drilled for standard AN fittings, can accommodate return or returnless systems. Includes port for top mounted fuel pressure gauge. Manufactured and leakdown-tested on the bench by CPR.

Glamor shots on a 931 head/charge tube setup (click for enlargements):

This particular unit is going onto the UWB project, but when I commissioned the piece, I wanted to make sure it would be compatible with the stock 924/931 configuration. The only unavoidable issue that prevents this from being completely bolt-on is the stock breather update, which interferes with ANY fuel rail. So, if you need the breather update, the stock plate would have to be modified (I think Rich H or RC have done this), or the oil filler cap could be modified with a breather port. Otherwise, the fitment is excellent, there is NO WAY the injectors will leak or move when everything is torqued down. As the photos reveal, there is about 1mm or so between the upper charge tube and the rail when everything is installed and seated correctly. The item in the photos is simply polished, but since I'll be running E85, it will be anodized before installation.

I am working on a standard price list. CPR is willing to do one-off work, as well as some discounting for group buys. These will not be available direct from CPR, they will only be available through Ideola's Garage.

Last edited by ideola on Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:26 am; edited 2 times in total
flosho  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, damnit, I like it! I may need to get in on this... ha.

FWIW, my "endwrench" efi rail, works both the stock s2 charge tube/intake, and the breather pipe, albeit it took a bit of.. schmooozing of the breather tube piece..
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work.
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flosho wrote:
albeit it took a bit of.. schmooozing of the breather tube piece..

Haha, guess I didn't schmooze mine enough I had an endwrench rail and also picked up one that macBdog had on his car before the V8 swap (seen in this image, click for enlargement).

As I said, both of these rails also interfered with the breather adapter. My objective was to have a complete bolt-on solution, and grinding the breather adapter seemed like a less-than-acceptable idea for a commercial "bolt-on" solution.

For a stock 931 install, I'm going to look into the feasibility of modifying the stock breather plate+elbow dohicky. The elbow sticks out too far. There might be a way to modify it so that a standard AN fitting can be used while still clearing the fuel rail. On the other hand, I'm wondering how likely it is that anyone doing an EFI conversion on a 931 would also be going to some form of DIS; in which case, including a dizzy block-off plate with breather port could solve the whole problem...although it would require sourcing an NA blank to replace the 931 breather update piece.

On the UWB, since I'm going with full blown EFI + DIS + Dry Sump, the breather port on the side of the head will be welded shut, as will the oil filler cap and the ignition distributor housing. One of those locations will be drilled and tapped to accept a standard AN fitting with a one-way breather valve plumbed to the top of my oil tank.

Last edited by ideola on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested; I've bought rail, but have yet to machine it, so if this turns out to be price-competitive...

I'm not certain if I'll be sticking with the stock ignition on my car or not... many things still much up in the air, not merely technical related, so I'm just focusing on the obvious hard parts that need working on first...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Min  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of the retaining method. I'm planning on coming up with something better for bolting the thing down.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Min wrote:
I'm not a fan of the retaining method.

Why?
Elektrobank  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Available Soon: Purpose-built Fuel Rail for 931 Reply with quote

ideola wrote:

I am working on a standard price list. CPR is willing to do one-off work, as well as some discounting for group buys. These will not be available direct from CPR, they will only be available through Ideola. More to follow

i want one!
Moto Morini 350 K2
lot of fun but always on foot....
Min  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problems I've had with a similiar style mounting system on the fuel rail I'm using right now. Torn quite a few o-rings monkeying around with it. Ideally you should be able to put the rail in place, and slowly tighten it down until its seated properly.

something like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rocco R16V  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Min wrote:
Problems I've had with a similiar style mounting system on the fuel rail I'm using right now. Torn quite a few o-rings monkeying around with it. Ideally you should be able to put the rail in place, and slowly tighten it down until its seated properly.

Usually tearing o-rings are an indication that you need to do a little finish work. The machined holes shouldn’t have a sharp edge, but should be chamfered just a tiny bit. Most aftermarket fuel rails have these sharp edges but its easy to fix.

would be nice to be able to buy the rail, the breather block off, and the dist cover/breather as a kit.

Cool product, Thanks Ideola!
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocco R16V wrote:
would be nice to be able to buy the rail, the breather block off, and the dist cover/breather as a kit.

If that's the consensus view, I can work on it.

The injector insert holes on this unit are nicely chamfered. I found it quite easy to insert the injectors into the rail first, then the whole thing into the head, and finally tighten down.
emoore924  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take one. LMK when you have pricing and availability together.
Min  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocco R16V wrote:
Usually tearing o-rings are an indication that you need to do a little finish work. The machined holes shouldn’t have a sharp edge, but should be chamfered just a tiny bit.

Umm, I'm fully aware of this, and no, that's not why they are tearing. It has more to do with fitment/how they are bolted down than finish work.

Min
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good, lets talk money, how much for one?
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid any fuel leakage, one should use this kind of injector stoppers:

'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: