Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Feeler Post: Group Buy: 931 Fidanza Flywheel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Feeler Post: Group Buy: 931 Fidanza Flywheel Reply with quote

I'm going to be purchasing my aluminum flywheel for the UWB project within the week (or so, depending on interest). Ultra Rev has indicated a willingness to discount for multiple items in the past; anyone else have an interest? If so, I'll look into a quick group buy.

Paul  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That only fits a series 1 correct?
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
peterld  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough I've just been checking out their website - interested if applicable to S2 931. The website doesn't really make it clear. Or I'm rather more obtuse than usual. Can anyone confirm?

Where is the flywheel made and by whom? If its an outside supplier will they sell direct?
FSMITH010  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it says 1980-1982 on the linked site.
gegge  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have asked several providers, but no one knows (exept IDEOLA, http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=25525&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=pressure+plate&start=0)

I am interested if it fits S2 with coilspring clutch depending on price.

Stock S2 weight 11lbs and Fidanza 7,5lbs. Makes me wonder if it is worth it...

Remember that the stock pressure is heavy with a weight of 14lbs. The 915 verison 9lbs and the very rare all aluminium 6,5lbs.

But the idea of removing 11lbs of rotating mass is VERY tempating. Then substact another 5lbs from the crank...

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gegge posted to the earlier thread where I did enquire directly about the S1 vs S2 fitment, and they assured me at the time that it would work for both.

The question that springs to mind presently is I seem to recall there being a couple of different versions of S2 flywheels, I think one of the posts that bass gt had chimed in on. I'll see if I can dig those up, I think it would be prudent to do our own research and identify exactly what the differences are. In the meantime, it looks like we have at least 3 or 4 guys interested, so I will call UltraRev again today to verify their willingness to discount, by how much, minimum order, and of course, compatibility with S2.

In the meantime, all you S2 guys need to find out exactly which flywheel you have. I don't know precisely what to tell you to look for just yet, but hopefully we'll dig that information out collectively within the day.
gegge  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two different S2 versions of the flywheel, one flat for the coilspring clutch and one dished for the rubberspring clutch.

From PET:

Flywheel 931.102.205.05 M31.01/02 -80
will fit (coil)clutch plate 931.116.011.04 and pressure plate 931.116.001.02

Flywheel 931.102.206.01 M31.03/50 81-
will fit (coil)clutch plate 931.116.011.04 and pressure plate 915.116.001.27

Flywheel 931.102.206.03 M31.03 81-
will fit (rubber)clutch plate 944.116.012.04 and pressure plate 931.116.001.3

I think there is a typo since M31.03 appers twice and M31.04 is missing. I think that US and CGT used the same flywheel.

Check the post by IC932 regarding the two versions:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=179987&highlight=pressure+plate#179987

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the post I was thinking of.

I think the 931 and 915 pressure plates are interchangeable, are they not?

In any event, based on this information, I would assume then that it depends on which clutch and pressure plate combination you want to use. So even if you have the later dished style in stock from, there's nothing to prevent changing to a Fidanza wheel and pairing it with the appropriate clutch disc and pressure plate...
924guy  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in the fidanza, but still have some investigating to do.

I need to figure out:

a. how much trouble will the fidanza be to get the s2 ring gear set up.

b. what fidanza is going to give me, if anything, over a lightened stock flywheel.

c. cost of fidanza vs machine work on stock unit.

im also going to go out on a limb here and say that with any lightened flywheel, you ALSO want, if not down right need a Crank scraper. we should consider that as a group buy as well.
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

924guy wrote:
a. how much trouble will the fidanza be to get the s2 ring gear set up.

The Fidanza unit includes the ring gear, so there's nothing you need to do. Remember, the ring gear on the fly wheel is only there for the S2 crank trigger. The ring gear on the pressure plate is what is used by the starter. So this unit is compatible with both S1 and S2 configs, subject to the provisos above regarding the style of clutch disc you want to use.

924guy wrote:
im also going to go out on a limb here and say that with any lightened flywheel, you ALSO want, if not down right need a Crank scraper. we should consider that as a group buy as well.

Unless you're dry sumping. Bwahahahahahahaha!

I won't be able to help with a crank-scraper group buy because I would need a custom profile due to my stroker.
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bad news, boys:
Troy @ EBS wrote:
DO NOT get the Fidenza lt weight flywheel for the 924 Turbo. It requires modification to fit. RH got one for his and has had many problems.

to RH, I wrote:
Troy Chapman @ EBS gave me your contact info. There is a group of us on 924board that are looking into a group buy on the Fidanza lightweight aluminum flywheel. Troy warned me that you had a bad experience, or that it wasn't direct bolt-on. Can you elaborate as to what the fitment issue was? Do you know which of the three 931 flywheels you have? What clutch disc are you using (spring-centered or rubber-centered)?

RH wrote:
Mine had a ball bearing on the shaft support bearing and had a slightly different bolt circle on the pressure plate assembly---it was a disaster to say the least... I can go through my notes if we need to but I do have a few photos [7 pics starting here]:

So this kind of kills the deal for me.
peterld  

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, nice thought - good try Dan. Thanks.
emoore924  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: NOT the end of the thread Reply with quote

So if it doesn't fit his car but it is supposed to fit a 924 turbo but doesn't, what DOES it fit?

Has anyone talked to Fidanza directly? They're pretty reputable AFAIK and they can't just be selling stuff that doesn't fit...

I have a Fidanza in a box in my parts basement and I'm wondering whether it will fit my car or not and how I would know what to look for?
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RH told me he thought it appeared to be closer to the NA version. Haven't talked to Fidanza directly. I'll pursue that, but frankly, I'm not hopeful at the moment. See RH's comments above...it was the size of the pilot bearing opening, as well as the bolt pattern for the pressure plate. He told me he had to redrill everything to get it to work. More info from RH:

RH wrote:
we went back and forth on the thing---after I finally got through to them!!! They did make a bearing carrier but in the end it was a slip fit...that is not good for a ball bearing (very hard surface) on aluminum... Then I had to send it back to have an entirely new bolt circle drilled and tapped into the flywheel. On the good side the billet aluminum is great looking and very light---I'm afraid my car is going to shack like some cheep set of salt and pepper dispensers... I think you can fit a 911 clutch in these--that may be the way to go.

If I was a gambling man I'd say Porsche or VW selected a very heavy flywheel as this engine does NOT have a balance shaft---this is a cheep and easy way to take out the harmonic vibration. They also have a 10 pound (approx) weight in the torque tube for no apparent reason ( I left that in place).

One last note---I used a higher temp Loctite retaining compound on the bearing to insure no rotation in the bore of the flywheel. Not the best practice but it will work. They standard 924 NA uses a needle roller bearing in a carrier. I think that is what the flywheel I received had been designed for ---it was a disaster---I suggest you pull a few apart and inspect them ---I'll be happy to be a reference

ideola  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email sent to Fidanza.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: