Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

New Engine (V8) in the 924

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John H  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to stir something up - I've started work on new engine in my old 924 n/a.
I've decided to put a Rover V8 into it - I've had the motor sitting in my garage for 12 years now and it's been used in a race car occassinally and the 924 had a dead motor so I thought I'd do a swap.

I'm using an old 924 4 speed (because it's currently sitting on the garage floor), matching torque tube and I'm just modifing the torque tube bell housing to fit the Rover. I'm also matching the 924 flywheel to the Rover.

Probably going to take a few months (years) but will take photo's as I progress.

[ This Message was edited by: John H on 2002-07-23 12:01 ]
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats cool John. Contact Adie and see if she can give any good advice.
wdb  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using a 924 trans means your engine will be at 2500 rpm going 60 mph , which will waste gas maybe a different trans would be better ( 968 ? ) I've heard about people swapping the top gear for second gear from a second trans for overdrive, (gears switch sides.)but you'll prolly want 5 spd to try that.
John H  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too worried about that as the car is eventually going to be used mainly as a tow car so I want the power around the 50 to 60 mph mark. .

If I find it a pain then I'll put the original gearbox back in (old 5 speed dog leg non turbo box)

CBASS
I've seen the photo's you've posted on Adie's conversion to figure out how things go.

This project is something for me to play with over the next year of so

PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take at look at the following link and the picture I have posted...it may give you some ideas as how to hook uo the drive train.

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?topic=3613&forum=1&20&offset=-179
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A way I am thinking of doing it is using the G31 tranny and torque tube, and a 944 or audi box 931 inner shaft.

The way I figure it is, if you could get the longer shaft, you could chop off the existing splines, and have new splines cut into the fresh end.

I don't know if it is long enough to do it, but I am going to try it at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: