Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Official Cometic MLS Head Gasket Group Buy
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Official Cometic MLS Head Gasket Group Buy Reply with quote

Well boys, we did it! Cometic have agreed to produce these, although there are a few formalities still to be worked through, as follows.

SAMPLE BLOCK & HEAD(S)
First and foremost, they require a good head and block in order to produce the proper geometry. My plan as of now is to go out to Cleveland next Tuesday afternoon and drop off my spare block and one of my spare 931 heads.

Having said that, we need to determine conclusively whether this gasket will be suitable for both NA and 931 motors. Looking at the tech specs booklet, the 931 HG has fewer ports and might even be different sizes than the NA HG, at least as it was specified in that booklet. I believe I have read that there is only one gasket now being made, but this needs to be confirmed so that the NA guys know whether this will work for them or not. More importantly, I'll need to know if I need to take an NA head with me as well so that we can have one master gasket made that will work for both. I'm pretty sure Vaughan or Chris will have a spare NA head, so that shouldn't be a problem, but I'm going to need everyone's help to sort this out.

TECHNICAL DETAILS
The great thing about doing this is that we can order as many variations on thicknesses within the group buy, as long as it is all the same pattern. I haven't collected all of the increments just yet, but thicknesses from .027" to .051" are 3-layer, and thicknesses beyond .051" up to .140" are 5-layer. 3-layer and 5-layer gaskets will be at different price points, but you are each free to specify however many you want at any size between those extremes at the increments available (which I will post later).

Another little detail came out as well, and that is that Cometic recommends AGAINST o-ringing when using their MLS gasket. Not sure what that means for those of us with o-ringed blocks...maybe the o-rings can be machined down, or in my case, maybe I'll just have my non-o-ringed block prepped for my setup. TBD. But you all need to be aware of this, because some of you may have already o-ringed your blocks. Also, I will come back later and post the technical requirements in terms of flatness and surface.

I also asked about the Fuzion gaskets, and they said that they were overkill for our application, and would not be economically feasible.

PRICING & TIMING
In the meantime, they are working out pricing, which I expect to receive within the next day or two. Once we know that, I will set it up to issue a purchase order from Ideola, and we can proceed as we did with the ARP rod bolt group buy. I do NOT know pricing right now, and I would NOT assume that the prices previously bandied about will be in play simply because we are talking about a much lower stock (i.e. less than 100) than is usually required. In other words, assume the price will be higher, maybe in the $100 range per piece...but DON'T quote me on that, I'm just GUESSING.

For all who have posted interest, start setting aside your pennies now. As soon as we have pricing pulled together, I will set up the logistics to collect funds and put it into escrow via Ideola as we did with the rod bolts. I'll post back here as soon as possible with pricing information.

I asked about timing, and they indicated that these could be ready as soon as the 3rd week in February. Knowing what I know about this community and group buys, I seriously doubt that will happen But the scenario I discussed with them was that they will not commit to a time table until they receive a purchase order, but that once they have a purchase order, the lead time is about 2-3 weeks. SO, what this probably means in realistic terms is that once we have collected all of the funds into an escrow account, it will be about a month before the gaskets are in our hands for shipping.
peterld  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan is THE man!!! 4x gaskets please.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they work for NA, put me down for 5.
Chuck
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you contemplating old style MLS or the new Phuzion?

I am interested in the latter.
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Are you contemplating old style MLS or the new Phuzion?

I am interested in the latter.

You didn't read the whole post, did you?
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Dan! Kick ass.

tuurbo  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan can we order these gaskets even if we didn't chime in during the big group buy thread?
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't you just say, "they said phuzion was overkill?"

Oh, wait, I know why.
tomcooper  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said I would be in for a couple, but I definitely want ones for a NA.

Tom
pocketscience  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can confirm NA suitability then I'll be in for one.

Cheers,
69 911
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuurbo wrote:
Dan can we order these gaskets even if we didn't chime in during the big group buy thread?

Of course! Once we know pricing, we'll work out the cut off date and timing and all that stuff, so there's plenty of time for anyone who wants in.

Regarding NA compatability, I am definitely going to push hard to come up with a single design. As I said, I recall reading multiple times that there is only one head gasket now provided for NA and turbo applications. My concern is that if Cometic bases the design on an actual sample of the block and turbo head, it might not have all of the ports for an NA head. Worst case, I'll take them two heads and ask them to sort it out. In the meantime, I'd like to confirm independently amongst the experts here ahead of time.
924guy  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent work! im still in for two, and pretty sure the 931 gasket will work on the n/a, as the 931 gasket superseded the n/a gasket (p/n 931 104 337 06 ) from what I can tell from PET...

1978 stock head:

1980-82 931 head:

reinze stock 931 gasket on 78 n/a head:

the reinze gasket covers up the oblong ports on the 931 head as well, there are a few small pin holes punched out of them on those areas,but given the comparison, id go off the reinze head gasket pattern which from pet, we know (or think we know) is factory approved for both units..
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
elitejaso  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thanks again for your efforts Dan.
Count me in for 2 still.
Now i just gotta decide which thickness, 5 layers sounds mighty tough.
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, thanks for the detective work. I have a 931 head gasket, I think it might be a Reinz as well, I'll take it in with the heads and block.

Anybody have any recommendations on who we can check with to validate what Eric's research seems to indicate, that the 924 HG part number has been superseded to the 931 HG? I'm working on the theory that PET is probably right (although it is known to contain some part number errors), but that it's nice to corroborate with a human being

{EDIT}
Pelican's site lists 931-104-337-06-OEM as being for the entire range, and neither of the 924 PET catalogs list any of the earlier part numbers...seems pretty conclusive, are we all in agreement?
peterld  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly Dan, we now have 'Cometic Gasket Australia' in Brisbane who make much of their "MLS head gasket off the shelf or custom made" however when I spoke to them they only have available a copper gasket at $96.53. This gasket is listed by them for both the NA and Turbo - no differentiation!
A call to the OPC in Brisbane gave a similar result - one part number for both NA and Turbo.
Cheers PLD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: