Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

NC State Inspection woes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpdorfer  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I now have the car running and I am down to one oil leak. However the CO reading is 8.59, North Carolina's standard is 2.00. Any suggestions as to where to look to lean the fuel mix out??

JayD
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite a bit of excess fuel according to that reading. I guess you're seeing black smoke out the exhaust. The adjustment is between the fuel distributor and the rubber boot that's just to the right of it. Turn clockwise to richen and counterclockwise to lean it out. Mine has a steel ball with some putty on top sealing the opening to access the adjustment. The steel ball needs to be pryed out with an ice pick. A previous owner was clever enough to drill out some metal beside the ball bearing to allow this - otherwise, you have to remove the entire mixture control unit and knock out the steel ball from the other side. I think some have a rubber plug instead? It takes a metric size hex key - something in the area of 2.5mm-4.5mm. You usually have to adjust up the idle speed when you lean out the mixture.
Note: when turning the mixture adjustment don't exert any up/down pressure on it while turning - the adjustment screw is attached to the fuel metering plates' arm and any up/down pressure on it will affect the mixture while you're trying to adjust it.
The manual says to always adjust from lean to rich, so if it's already rich, you're supposed to turn it too far counterclockwise (lean), then richen it from there.

[ This Message was edited by: smoothie on 2002-07-13 08:23 ]
Dave951M  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it takes a 3mm if it's like my son's VW. Adjusts the same as well. Procedure is in the Haynes manual. There is a long t handle allen wrench made just for this purpose, I bought mine for $3 at a parts store. HTH

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: