Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Audi V8 Swap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexvex  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Audi V8 Swap Reply with quote

Hey, I've been doing some research and haven't come up with a concrete answer on a few things. Does the Audi V8 (3.6L PT) bolt to the 924/931 tranny? Has anyone actually done this swap? I've been pondering it lately and might try it if it's seems doable. Thanks-Alex
2010 Touareg TDI
Past Pcars: 80 931, 87 924S, 87 951
moone924  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure knowing that the inline 5 will fit the 924/931 bellhousing. Thus knowing the PT will fit the 016/01A/01E found in the audis I can say it fits....

Figuring out the clutch, flywheel, etc is another story.

Always shopping for a nice s2 931 to baby.
New philosophy : one car project at a time.
Pieter  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so last night I got out a tape measure and popped the bonnet of my toofah and based on the measurements of the AUDI ABZ V8 and the AAH V6 engine I have, you will have to drop the engine or raise the hood in he order of 1.5-2 inches, for the heads to clear. This was based on a measurement from the crank to the top of the head. I beleive the ABZ will have a slightly bigger head, as it is 4valves/cyl, so maybe a bit more. The good news is that it clears the sway bar, but that you will have to beat the firewall in and relocate the brake master cyl/booster. So, this might be the easiest V8 to fit, as far as engine swaps go, but it seems that an I5 AAN would be much easier. ABZ is much cheaper, though and I would love to see a 924 with one in, so if you have the means, go for it.
vwhammer  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K before you get too excited just know that I am not trying to put the Audi V8 into a 924.
However, I am trying to join a 3.6 liter Audi V8 to an Audi FWD 5 speed transaxle which is real similar to the 944 trans.

This whole deal is going into a V8 VW Rabbit project I have been working on for a couple years.

It will be laid out much like the porsches with the engine in front and the trans in the back.

So after a little research it has been detrmined that the 931 bell will bolt to the engine and it will, in turn, bolt to the 944 torque tube which will will bolt to my Audi transaxle.

So that's what I bought.
I will be picking up the 944 bits on saturday and the 931 bell is on its way as I type.
Sadly with work and my weekends being busy for the next two weeks I will not get to try it out until the weekend of October 24th.

I will not have the clutch part sorted out right away but I don't think that will be too hard.

I will let you know how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
alexvex  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following your build

I bought a 931 running so I don't have any plans on the v8 anymore unless I blow something up

That and I think the v8 might not clear the strut towers
2010 Touareg TDI
Past Pcars: 80 931, 87 924S, 87 951
vwhammer  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V8 fit between the strut towers on my rabbit with 3/4 of an inch in each side of the header at the closest point so I am certain it will fit in the Porsche.

Well I guess my measurements are based on my 944 but if the 924 is close in size then it should fit.
I think hood and X member clearance will be the big issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: