Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Cadillac swap **** 56k warning****
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update on the oil pan,since I don't have another stock caddy pan laying around,and the closest one in a wrecking yard is 60 miles away.I thought I would try to add A sump to the drysump pan I started building. I was surprised that the stock pump and pickup fit behind the X-member,so I just shortened the sump part of the pan that was already removed, then welded it back on. I know this pan will work,but how well?I don't know. My concern was the shallow part of the pan has almost no slope from the front to the sump,when level,but the eng sits in the car with the same amount of angle as it does on the engine stand .I did measure this ,but at the moment I forget how many degrees It was. seems the oil will flow to the sump,But I don't know.It's not the end of the world if I have to build another pan.
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shortend the pickup tube a little,now It's pretty close to center of the sump,front to back and side to side. If I have a problem with oil starvation,I don't think the pickup will be the cause.The HT4100 engine was an earlier RWD version of this eng.It's oil PU was in a similar location.

Last edited by chad-tanner on Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspector: These brakes look completely inadequate.
Burt Munro: Well, I'm planning on going, not stopping.
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update: My heads and intake have gone away to be matched and ported.I got the oil pan buttoned up.The lower portion of the alt bracket is finished,the belt tensioning part of the bracket will connect to the front of the head and to the Obvious point on the alt.I painted the engine block with dupli-color "new ford gray" It seems to have a slight blue tint.I am very happy with the way the alt bracket turned out,looks alot like a factory piece.

chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fiero Guys!!!Someone tipped me off,that you guys were lurking in the shadows.I could use some tech support from you 4.9 gurus!!!!

Last edited by chad-tanner on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some technical info on the fwd gm bellhousing,In case someone has interest in doing such A swap in the future.

chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[more technical info for future reference] This is the same bolt patteren as the 924 flange,as this is what I used to drill my holes.

chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrenan  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making progress! When does the engine go in?
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,ve been wanting to get the engine back in the car,so I can work on the engine mounts,but have not had much time when there was someone available to help me,as I think it's a job for more than one person.I've also been putting it off,because my heads have still not returned.I don't have much progress to report.In my spare time, I stripped and sanded the battery box area,plus patched the hole for the AC.I also cleaned up all the windshield wiper parts.Putting the engine in the car today was a little out of the order of the things that need to be done on the project,but like I said,I rarely have someone available to help,so I used the opportunity to get the engine connected to the TT,I think this makes like the 25th "dry run".I guess it's all part of the process,This is the largest project I have ever attempted,as far as having to build mostly everything from scratch.I hope to have the engine mounts finished very soon.

Chrenan  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that is true hot rodding, swapping a completely different engine into a car by yourself, pretty cool stuff. Looks like it sits nice and low, very good.
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by chad-tanner on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then I'll put the eng back in the car and measure for the redesign of my exsiting mount,plus start work on the alt bracket.

That was my quote,from back in March.I guess I never intended for it to take this long to get there.Last fall I told everyone that the car would be finished last spring.Boy did I tell a big one there,even I believed it.

Just to refresh everyones memory,I started building this as a solid mount,because I wanted to shave a little build time off the project,plus I thought it would help save space in critical areas.At that time,I figered this would be alright,since it was a v8 and one of the smoother running v8s ("duh" It's a cadillac).I was never thrilled with the ideal and it did'nt take much to convince me it was a bad ideal.In fact no one has thought it would be alright to mount the engine solid.

Quote:
I wished I had taken pics of the mount when the engine was in the car,but it has been in and out so many times I figered I would take some later

Another quote of mine from back in march.As you can see I finally got some pictures of it.What you can't see in the pics ,I tack welded 1''x1'' sqaure tubes on the inside of the cross member,that the bolts pass through,so there would be no chance of the x member collapsing.That is a 1/4 plate on the front to prevent any distortion from torquing the bolts.Even as a solid mount,I was not finished with it,I was planning on adding strong backs and gussets for extra strength,plus make it look more like an automobile part or at least something someone put a lot of thought into.

At the present time my plan is to add bolt through type rubber mounts to the "firewall side" of the mount.The passenger side has no obvious obstructions.The driver side is limited,because of the starter,however I think there is enough space for this to work.In addition to the genenic universal type aftermarket mounts,there are a lot of factory mounts that have a bolt through design.The problem with those is knowing the exact dimensions,without having one in my hand.

I'm really liking the looks of these Volvo 240 mounts,plus their dirt cheap.Their size looks very promising plus I like the offset bolts.Even though I can't find out anything about the actual dimensions,I may go ahead and order them,because they look like a steal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-240-Engine-Motor-Mounts-PAIR-1976-1993-86-87-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50454QQihZ003QQitemZ130236871229QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If anyone knows anything about volvo mounts,please help.I worry about stuff like this being listed wrong,or not having the correct picture.

like always,all comments and criticism are welcome.

chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember some discussion about what bell housing to use for a 3800 and 3800sc swap.I recently dicovered some great info,and I could'nt believe it had alluded me for all these years,almost like the discovery of a georgian bigfoot,except this is not a hoax.
I thought I would pass this along,because someone doing a fwd gm engine swap into a 924, may have more clutch options using this bellhousing.

96-00 dodge Dakota 2.5L bellhousing: Connects all to any Jeep 2.5L L4. Because of it's GM 60 degree V6 inherited bolt pattern, also works with any Buick FWD V6 and supercharged V6, any Chevrolet 2.8/3.1/3.4 V6, any Cadillac 4.1/4.5/4.9 V8 and with a minor modification, any Olds Aurora DOHC V8 and Cadillac DOHC Northstar V8. Also bolts to any Isuzu 3.23.5 DOHC V6, Holden (Australia) 3800 V6 and the LS4 5.3L V8

I bet you guys did'nt know that

fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was vaguely aware of that. Only because I'm interested in the 95 and earlier version of that bellhousing for use with my Chrysler 2.5L turbo engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: