Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

intercooler setup *UPDATE*
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: intercooler setup *UPDATE* Reply with quote

So...its my turn to cool it down a bit.

i've designed an intercooler and produced the drawing for a company who actualy welded it together. If my calculations are correct this IC should be good for 250 BHP so the S2 931 engine is safe with it.

today i've done the first chapter:

-design and route guides for the real piping.
-search for possible space problems and find solutions
-start on the actual piping

my plan is to use as much stock parts as possible...so i'm going to cut the charge tube and the smaller part of it and fit rubber tubes.

intercooler is mounted in front and its tilted for space reasons.

Last edited by morghen on Sun May 25, 2008 8:27 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for comments? I would be concerned about the length of your intake tract, and air flow through your radiator.
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey....yea looking for comments.

hmm...seen intercoolers put right next to the radiators and they were fine...any other comments on this point?

Lenght...my goal was to minimise the lenght...and i think its short for a FMIC...maby the long pipes create some sort of image distortion but the whole thing is not that long and i think that i'm going to move the intercooler more to the left so i can have an even shorter tract...any other comments on this ?
Paul  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hoses must not touch the inner fender since a 931 motor moves left and right on it's mounts (like most rear drive cars).

What do you plan to cover that IC with?
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the lenght will be a problem. But what front bumper do you have?
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the hooses problem....i've sticked feltpads to minimise friction for now but i'm looking to reduce contact to 0. thanks.

Cédric wrote:
I dont think the lenght will be a problem. But what front bumper do you have?

a big and fat one

Rasta might be right about the radiator getting less cold air...i might need a performance radiator...

the silver grid on the front bumper will come off and i will duct the air for the radiator and intercooler separatly as i did for the brakes.

one more point i'd like some opinions about is venting the exhaust manifold area. porsche have done it on the 931 with that hood scoop. i'm using a NA hood and there is no way i'm cutting my hood or mounting anything on it. so i want to duct some air from the front to the exhaust manifold area...ofcourse the air stream would not directly hit the manifold...
any toughts?
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:

hmm...seen intercoolers put right next to the radiators and they were fine...any other comments on this point?

Been there, done that. It doesn't work well. You need a little space between the IC and the rad because the IC tubes are so wide they only flow air thru half the frontal area. Your IC should flow plenty of air to cool the radiator but to make it efficient you need to duct\seal it to the radiator so NO air can flow around the rad after going thru the IC. This will make both the IC and the radiator work better.

Todd
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update: had some spare time to work on the IC setup. Ofcourse nothing is final...i'm going to get a professional shop to make the whole thing out of INOX after its ready. But this looks good to me.
In the first picture i'm using a very long rubber piece(left)..i will replace that with a solid pipe in the afternoon.

Cant wait to start her up and go for a spin to see the differences.
-nick  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a solid idea. Why not move it over to the passenger side and make your duct work shorter though?
15psi boost, MS-II, EDIS, 951 IC, custom intake, Ford 5.0L throttle body, Forge BOV, WB o2, G31 w/LSD, 964 wheels, 968 rear sway, Bilsteins, 200# Welt. springs. A laptop, and a partridge in a pear tree.
1991 964 C4 Cabriolet
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so....got it welded...its a two piece thing...one for the input of the IC and one for the output.
it still needs some tweaking...but mainly its there and it works.

the first thing i've noticed is that the engine sounds different....in a good way.
second thing...i was expecting the boost to come early and stuff like this...but no...boost is there where it should be. 3.5K RPM...max torque is at 4000 and keeps pulling to 6000. i havent really tested it because i'm using rubber for the aluminium to inox parts and i did not want to have to fix the car on the way home.
The turbo does not sing so loud anymore...and all the sounds are deeper..lower....sounds like a bigger engine.

some bad things....HOT start problem seems to have gone worse.....but this can be related to piping...and i miss the turbo singing

i'll post pictures as soon as i make them.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.5 sounds low to me, but that could be my boost controller. Shaggy's boost is at 50% at under 2.5, and 100% under 3k.
moone924  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

open up your exhaust and you can hear the turbo sing from the other end.

Always shopping for a nice s2 931 to baby.
New philosophy : one car project at a time.
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
3.5 sounds low to me, but that could be my boost controller. Shaggy's boost is at 50% at under 2.5, and 100% under 3k.

Could it be the difference between SI and SII turbo unit???
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well mine is an S2 so i should have less lag...could be that i have some leak in the intake system as i am not using silicone joints but rubber joints and the piping needs a small revision to sit flush with the body and engine...i had no time to check for leaks...i started the car as soon as i had everything bolted. I will have the whole piping retuched and leak tested next week. cant wait to take some pictures and give it the beans

as a straight result...before i could not even get close to the intake manifold after a few "laps"...now its cold as ice !
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the boost comes on in the RPM range has nothing to do with lag...but 3500 RPM does seem a bit late for an SII. I thought they were designed to spool quicker. I dunno, I have SI...no boost gauge yet, but it starts to kick in at 2500...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: